Login - Become a member

Normal Mapping Help

Forums home -> 3D Studio MAX -> Normal Mapping Help

Normal Mapping Help 
By Hot Top Fade on Sep 24, 2005 02:26 PM
When it comes to Normal Mapping I seem to run in to the same thing all to often. If I am creating a normalmap that I will tile on to a flat surface I start with a square. I work on only one side of that square. I go through the normalmapping process and all has gone well. I then take my normal map to photoshop to crop out the 5 unwanted sides. I then tile the image on to a wall. When rendered one side is great. The other side is very dark.
What am I doing wrong? Can a normalmap tile properly? Please Help.

Thank you for your time.
Re: Normal Mapping Help 
By Wafer on Jan 01, 2006 06:50 AM
When it comes to Normal Mapping I seem to run in to the same thing all to often. If I am creating a normalmap that I will tile on to a flat surface I start with a square. I work on only one side of that square. I go through the normalmapping process and all has gone well. I then take my normal map to photoshop to crop out the 5 unwanted sides. I then tile the image on to a wall. When rendered one side is great. The other side is very dark.
What am I doing wrong? Can a normalmap tile properly? Please Help.

Thank you for your time.

could you post a screenshot? it sounds to me like you are mirroring the normal map in some way, using it somewhere where it shouldn't be? so that what is supposed to be bright on one side is fine, but then you are appling this map to another side of something, and the lights are becoming darks etc.

What are you cropping 5 unwanted sides for? You may need these sides?

Page 1 of 1 Go to page: 1
Subscribe to RSS
Follow us on Twitter

Copyright © 1996-2010 Raphael Benedet - Contact Us