Login - Become a member

3DS MAX aint easy

Forums home -> 3D Studio MAX -> 3DS MAX aint easy

3DS MAX aint easy 
By Ominous_Dealings on Jun 21, 2005 01:52 PM
I can,t understand how people can say that 3ds max is easy to use for beginners, I personally found softimage alot easier to use (even that was daunting). But I guess it depends on personel experience.

Post in what you think

is 3DS Max really that easy to use?

By fusion of elements on Jun 24, 2005 08:25 AM
The best way is to view tutorials, read up and practice. Try not to follow 'in-depth' tutorials that list every specific value as these can be overwhelming.

If i was starting from scratch I would learn in the following order.

1. Learn the interface (how to move, scale rotate, change views, pan, zoom, render, and the logic of the modifier pannel)

2. Id then learn about standard primitives, create a box, add an 'edit mesh' modifier and then learn and play with EVERY one of the edit mesh options.

3. Id then look at materials and learn about simple mapping techniques.

4. Id then spend a very short time (at this stage) learning about lighting.

5. I would go back and master the edit mesh modifier as 'box modelling' is probably the most basic, but valueable method of modelling, and will give you some confidence.

6. Once mastered, start to learn about splines and then patches or nurbs. Just dont try and do it all at once or else you wont get there.

7. Over time, what you learned about the possibilites and limitations of one modelling technique will let you choose, and improve at another.

I have been using CAD and Max for 18 months now... that is it... my total knowledge of the 3d industry has come from 18 months work. I am actually senior modeller of my company and I model, material, map, light, rig, animate, render, composite and maxScript. I push the scanline renderer to its limits while also using advanced renders and radiosity simulations. I use reactor and particle simulations as well as 'R&Ding' within Max to explore how it can work for my company's sesrvices.

You will get there... it just requires a little time and for you to ask lots of questions of it !!!

By eddie.motorsport on Oct 05, 2005 10:54 PM
Max is, acctualy very complicated, use Maya or LightWave. :)

By Niko Korkeakangas on Nov 08, 2005 07:11 PM
Hmm, I don't agree, I find Max easy, plus its very versatile, and I'm actually a begginer myself. I would also suggest getting the 3D S Max Bible, because it truly is a bible, and it got me comfortable with Max very quickly. (N.B I did spend a lot of my free time reading it though :) )

By Wafer on Jan 01, 2006 06:45 AM
Hmm, I don't agree, I find Max easy, plus its very versatile, and I'm actually a begginer myself. I would also suggest getting the 3D S Max Bible, because it truly is a bible, and it got me comfortable with Max very quickly. (N.B I did spend a lot of my free time reading it though :) )

I think it depends a lot of what you're used to.... If you come from an XSI background, then Max may be tricky.

For example I find Zbrush's interface unnecessarily tricky, because I`m used to Max and Maya. But I've heard that people learning 3d for the first time find Zbrush much easier than Max or Maya to learn.

Like everything in life, it takes time and dedication... Years and years usually.
Wafer
www.kevinwafer.com

By ToShiO on Jan 25, 2006 10:20 AM
hm... i don't know i think it good for some work

By animator on Feb 13, 2006 11:23 PM
I've been using Max for six years now during that time I also tried Maya ,lightwave and XSI they are all very complex programmes and they all have the very similar tools - if you know what they're called and where to find them! People often start learning one, then find it difficult and switch to another thinking it will be easier but it won't be, my advice is start with one of the high end programmes and stick to it !

By Ominous_Dealings on Mar 14, 2006 10:22 AM
thank u all... :D

Page 1 of 1 Go to page: 1
Subscribe to RSS
Follow us on Twitter

Copyright © 1996-2010 Raphael Benedet - Contact Us