Login - Become a member

UP Vector!!

Forums home -> 3D Studio MAX -> UP Vector!!

UP Vector!! 
By ibexion on Feb 04, 2005 10:31 AM
Does anybody know how to change Max's up vector?
Specifically the world up vector not view or camera’s based.[color=red:78e443caf8][/color:78e443caf8]

By fusion of elements on Feb 04, 2005 12:16 PM
Im not really sure what you mean... can you be more specific please?

At a guess, you may be talking about gizmo orientation.... this can be changed by selecting an option from the 'reference coordinate system' drop down menu which is in your top tool bar between the scale tool and the pivot point tool.

You can use World coordinate system, local system, view system etc

Hope that helps a little

By ibexion on Feb 04, 2005 12:37 PM
Thanks for the response fusion of elements...its appreciated.

I actually don't mean the reference co-ordinate system.
My objects are being exported into a gl scene based real time mapping system.

The exported 3ds file's orientation is with its up vector aiming along the z axes.
This needs to be chaged so that the up vector is aiming along the y axis.

Hope this explains what I mean.

By fusion of elements on Feb 04, 2005 09:24 PM
no problem,

I now know what your max problem is, but im not completely sure about the gl scene based realtime mapping system.... what is it you are exporting? a model, a scene? Im not sure how you can change the up vector (tho im sure you probably can), but what I can suggest, is a rough way of doing it. Try selecting everything in your scene, grouping it... rotating the pivot point through 90 degrees, and then rotating the whole scene back again. This will look wrong in max, but is a rough solution to changing the vector.

Sorry I cant be of more help.

Im actaully involved in a 3D export application which has different vectors to max, and all i do is alter the scripts in the application to alter the imported model info. Maybe you could do the same with your mapping sys?

Page 1 of 1 Go to page: 1
Subscribe to RSS
Follow us on Twitter

Copyright © 1996-2010 Raphael Benedet - Contact Us