Login - Become a member

mac or pc

Forums home -> Maya -> mac or pc

mac or pc 
By nitts90210 on Jan 19, 2005 03:07 AM
I'm just learning maya complete and was wondering if anyones knows which platform is the best. Dual 2.5 G5 apple or dual intel or amd pc. Is it just about price or does one stand above the other?

By General_Morden on Feb 17, 2005 10:54 PM
I would get a G5 MP Machine. The look'n fell of OS X is really great! Of course the performance too...

By MuseWarrior on Feb 22, 2005 06:42 AM
I have been using MAC Dual 1.8GHz G5 for about a year now since my office and this animated feature film we are doing are sponsered by MAC. So, I considered myself as an end user of MAC and MAYA.

From my POV, I think MAYA on MAC is not quite stable as I though it would be. Many bugs occurred. For examples, the time sliding bar on MAC is slow and numb.

The sound offsetting seems to be a problem when you need to playbast any shots that contained sound offset. Like, if you offset the sound to frame 101 instead of 0 and you playbast at 101 to 200 or whatever, the sound won't come out becos it will be playing at the frame 0 only , and also, the movie is partly wrecked. (This bug happens even you offset the sound to frame 1 not 0) Due to this mistake, our programmer tried to fix it by writing scripts that will help cure the symtoms. That leads on to another limitation of MAYA on MAC, that is, it is hard to develop any scripts without mistakes and time consuming. We concluded that anything develop on PC is much more unlimited and flexible

We checked the code on MAYA and it was the same as on PC
So, we think MAC operating system is not build to support MAYA soft. since we did not find any of these bugs on PC

Also, For the same monitor displaying card, MAC failed to motivate those software developers to fix the usual bugs often happened in their programs. Unlike PC, those bugs on displaying card were fixed already and compulsively.

Rendering.. well.. PC uses only one CPU but MAC uses two CPU in one linear clock system. You do the equation..

I am not into anti-MAC or anything but since I need to be using 3D software like MAYA all day for many years. I choose something that is more stable, faster and less of bugs. So, if MAC can fix those bugs, I will definately recommend MAC, no doubt.

Page 1 of 1 Go to page: 1
Subscribe to RSS
Follow us on Twitter

Copyright © 1996-2010 Raphael Benedet - Contact Us