Login - Become a member

effects question

Forums home -> 3D Studio MAX -> effects question

effects question 
By liquid_h on Oct 10, 2004 05:12 PM
hi all

Im looking for the best way to fade away abjects in my scene that are far away. Simulating the haze in an atmosphere to give a realistic look of contrast in a scene in respect to distance from the camera, I tried using fog but the result were not good enough, so how do u more experienced 3D artisits do it?

Thanx for taking the time to read my question.

By fusion of elements on Oct 12, 2004 09:11 AM
Hi again,

As you said you have tried using fog, I guess that you are making a landscape scene?

Although you have asked a question about fading, there is more involved with landscape scenes (if that is what you are making?).

First of all, if you are wanting to fade out in the distance, you need to be looking at 'Depth of Field'. If you use the Max help pages, you will probably return with three different possibilites: Depth of Field in the environment and effects panel, depth of field for mental ray cameras and depth of field for normal cameras. Using DOF with cameras requires multiple passes for each frame and it takes alot of passes to make it look any good. Using it as an after effect is much quicker, but doesnt provide great results. You may also need to play about with the environment ranges of your camera if you are trying to use fog.

I have recently made a rough start at an environment scene have used the following:
1. Volumetric light for the sun (for haze)
2. Squashed Atmospheric Sphere helpers in mountain troughs (for the fog)
3. A gradient ramp for the background colour (to help fade)
4. Exposure controls to lift the contrast
5. Snow materials with colours defined by a Shadow / Light falloff map
6. Catmull-Rom antialiasing filter (for sharpness of mountains)

I need to use:
1. Depth of Field
2. Realistic Textures & mapping

Hope some of this helps?

By liquid_h on Oct 12, 2004 10:49 PM
Thanks again mate u seem to have all the answers, Im actually making a cityscape and i needed to know how to make an effective fade away to simulate low visibility of distant buildings, the depth of field trick u told me about is proving very useful but the environment ranges along with fog thing u told me about is more along the lines, im still experimenting with it im not quite there yet its difficult to control density and where abouts it starts to fade and im also trying to get good results without sacrificing the visibility of the sky.
If u have any more tips regarding this id be even more grateful
Thanks again

Page 1 of 1 Go to page: 1
Subscribe to RSS
Follow us on Twitter

Copyright © 1996-2010 Raphael Benedet - Contact Us