Login - Become a member

best compressor fo minimizing the file size + quality

Forums home -> 3D Studio MAX -> best compressor fo minimizing the file size + quality

best compressor fo minimizing the file size + quality 
By shri_shrijith on Apr 21, 2004 09:23 AM
which is the best compressor used for minimizing the final sizes of avi and maintaining the quality ofthe avi
usually i use cinepak it reduces the size but the quality is bad
and i want to use the same file in premiere for more modification
and what compressor should i use in premiere
the problem is that when i render in premiere it is giving a huge file size

By kinsh_s on Apr 21, 2004 10:44 AM
If you want to use a compressor for the avi to reduce the file size and without much loss of quality then use indeo@video5.10 the data rate should be anything between 6000 to 9000 kb/sec. Your file size will be very small without much loss of qulity, infact u wouldnt be able to make out the quality loss. I usually use this only for avi and i get good results.
Hope this will solve ur problem

Cheers
Kinsh
Re: best compressor fo minimizing the file size + quality 
By Kamal on Apr 22, 2004 09:26 AM
Hi,

Actually, avi is a container. It means it is used to encapsulate other streams (video, audio, ...). But avi itself is not a video format. Just like mpeg system can contain an mpeg2 video and ac3 (dolby digital) or mp3 audio.
To get back to your question, I think the best compressor would be mpeg4 based or sorenson (quicktime) based. You migth want to have a lokk at xvid.

If you want to use a compressor for the avi to reduce the file size and without much loss of quality then use indeo@video5.10 the data rate should be anything between 6000 to 9000 kb/sec. Your file size will be very small without much loss of qulity, infact u wouldnt be able to make out the quality loss. I usually use this only for avi and i get good results.

From 6000 to 9000 kbps and you have small file size? Such a bitrate is very high. Indeed, a DVD is on average at 5-6 Mbps.
Of course you don't have much quality loss, you should have perfect image quality with such a bitrate. Unless your videos are very high resolution of course.
I suppose you meant 600 to 900 kbps?

By kinsh_s on Apr 22, 2004 09:53 AM
Kamal i agree with what u have written that MPEG-4 is the best compressor but shri_shrijith wanted to know about compressor with AVI, and more over MPEG would give the extension of DAT file and it would no longer be an AVI,so thats why i wrote about indeo. And yes i meant 6000 to 9000 kb/s. I work with a television industry and at times i broadcast my animation in AVI format with indeo compression with relevant polarizations at the resolution of 720*576..

kinsh

By Kamal on Apr 22, 2004 04:20 PM
kinish_s, I thought you meant 600-900 kbps because you said "small file size".
I thought he was searching for a smaller size/less quality than your solution. My fault.

As for mpeg4, can't it be encapsulated in an avi stream? I don't know avi much but in mpeg system streams, you can encapsulate pretty much anything. Can't avi be used to encapsulate whatever you want? video, audio, subtitles, ...?

Best Regards,

By kinsh_s on Apr 23, 2004 05:19 AM
Hi KAMAL
A 300mb avi file would become 3-4mb avi file when indeo is used with 9000kb.sec. The quality is excellent. I havent used much of MPEG-4 but with MPEG-2 the quality is much worse then compare to indeo. There is no pixelation with indeo as it is with MPEG-2. AVI can be used to encapsulate whatever you want. It is an output format. The only draw back with AVI is that it can only be played on a PC, thats why if someone wants to create an output that can be viewed on universal devices then ppl use MPEG.

Cheers
Kinsh

By Azazel on Apr 24, 2004 01:24 AM
Hi, maybe if you try whit DivX, is a very good compressor, that make files in avi format,and the quality is so good than indeo video 5,or cinepak, etc. :evil:

By Mynfadlak on May 19, 2004 03:14 PM
I've just used Indeo Video 5 for the first time to compress an .avi file from 823mb to a size that would fit on a CD-R, around 700mb, but first I tried it on a much smaller(23mb) first.
When seeing the result I was amazed to see a compression of 10-fold, ie 2.45mb.
On playing the file in Winamp it was only 6 seconds long instead of the original minute.
I deleted it and thinking I had to play the original one in its' entirety, I did this only to find iit too is now 6 secs long ! I'm glad I didn't try crunching the much larger file!!

I was a bit puzzled to start with as the program did't ask for an upper limit of the 'target' comp[ression.
What has happened here? Can an .avi be compressed any further and still retain its duration?
Thanks! :(

Myn'
Best compressor fo minimizing the file size 
By penisenlargement on Sep 26, 2010 04:32 AM
What a great idea!! i'ld like to know more how many people you met on 1st sept, i'm quite late to see this blog.
Mr. president doing great with HEALTH issues, just few day's before FDA release new rules of packed food products to display all the details of energy and this are issued with taking public opinions from allover country.

Very good! penis enlargement pills Nice information this is really interesting - vimax and vigrx plus - Good luck in building the table.

Page 1 of 1 Go to page: 1
Subscribe to RSS
Follow us on Twitter

Copyright © 1996-2010 Raphael Benedet - Contact Us