Login - Become a member

Can anyone help out a newbie?

Forums home -> Modeling -> Can anyone help out a newbie?

Can anyone help out a newbie? 
By NOMIND on Oct 29, 2002 10:08 AM
I am trying to learn 3d animation in my spare time at home.  I hve run into a problem, however, and was wondering if anyone could tell me how to solve it.  I am using 3d studio Max 5, and running through all the tutorials that come with the program.  When I got to the patch modeling section, the model I created keeps opening up at the seams whenever I move one of the control points.  How do I stop it?  Any help would be appreciated.  I was also wondering if anyone could tell me where to find ADVANCED tutorials on the web FOR FREE.  The ones that come with the program are obviously very basic, and don't seem to be very good preparation for creating photorealistic images, or complex animations.
Re: Can anyone help out a newbie? 
By Demongrace on Nov 02, 2002 05:59 PM
I think I can help you but I think I need a bit more info. How are you modelling your objects? Are you "box" modelling them, by basically deforming a box into the shape that you want, or are you using some other method.  If it is 'opening up at the seams' it sounds like you vertices aren't welded or something. If you can tell me a bit more I think I should be able to help more =D.
By NOMIND on Nov 02, 2002 08:53 PM
Well, the problem was with patch modeling.  I was running through the alien tutorial that comes with the software, following the instructions to the letter, then when I got to the point where it was time to start manipulating verticies it all went to hell.  Normally when you move a vertex, in "box modeling" anyway, the surface bends and stretches to compensate.  The edge between any two verticies moves, but the polygons on either side remain in contact.  My problem with the patch alien is that if I try to move a vertex, the edge between it and its neighbors will split, creating holes in the surface.  That's about as clear as I can make it.  Can you help?
By ben_bryan80 on Nov 03, 2002 07:39 AM
It sounds like you are moving verts without selecting all the verts occupying the same space.  If you have 5 verts all fused together then to move them as a group you have to either select them all by dragging a selection over them all.  Or you can turn on 'area selection' and adjust it to suit.  This feature will make any verts within a certain threshold be selected on one click

Hope this helps
By NOMIND on Nov 03, 2002 12:45 PM
I took a closer look and I realised that there were in fact 2 edges where there should only be one.  Picture this... two edges meet perpendicular to each other.  At the "T" there is a vertex.  The vertex is at the terminal end of the "stem" of the T, and it bisects the edge at the top which "crosses" the T.  When I zoomed in, I saw that the edge that crosses the T was actually 2 parallel edges very close together.  Is there a way to weld EDGES together?  Or to weld a vertex directly onto an edge, rather than another vertex?
By tim on Apr 29, 2003 04:23 AM
dont wory to much about patchs box modeling is the way to go you can build anything with boxs if u can box model u cant go wroung

Page 1 of 1 Go to page: 1
Subscribe to RSS
Follow us on Twitter

Copyright © 1996-2010 Raphael Benedet - Contact Us