Login - Become a member

best way to build roads

Forums home -> Modeling -> best way to build roads

best way to build roads 
By giraffe on Sep 04, 2002 02:58 PM
i am creating a small animation which has this imaginary road going up in the sky and it makes all kinds of turns, bends, goes up and down....

I actually saw something the other day when i was looking for resources, which looked a bit like what i wanted to do.

Only this is with a rainbow:
http://www.mk12.com/quicktime_html/mtv.html

Could some one please explain to me what the best way would be to do this?

thank you.
.g.
Re: best way to build roads 
By Scooby on Sep 04, 2002 04:28 PM
In Lightwave i would use RAIL  EXTRUDE to make a polly follow a path and create your road as it goes. Same thing works great for hoses.
-Scooby
By giraffe on Sep 05, 2002 07:22 AM
thanks for that.... but what about 3dmax?  :P
By Baby_Face on Sep 16, 2002 12:09 AM
You can extrude along a spline curve.  Cant remember where the commands are for that but its in the Beetle tutorial in max 3! :)
By skogskalle on Sep 25, 2002 12:14 PM
hmmm...... maybe I should post this as a new thread, but whatever....its a little spinoff from the original topic...

lets say Ive made a road the way you described, how could I texture it in a good way after that? If the road is turning, bending and so on....
Ive never had that exact problem, but Im not very good at texturing anything that doesnt look like a cube :)

so please... what kind of uvw-map would work in this case?  and is there better ways to place textures on objects that to use the standard MAX "sphere", "cube", "planar" - mapping gizmoz?

thanks in advance!
By smaug on Oct 07, 2002 01:25 PM
in max  you can use loft object to create that road.it is under the compound objects categorie in the create tab. with it there is no need to worry about uv editing because lofts have their own uv maps along their path
By skogskalle on Oct 08, 2002 01:00 AM
ok... i had no idea that lofts had their own uv-mapping!

thanks!

Page 1 of 1 Go to page: 1
Subscribe to RSS
Follow us on Twitter

Copyright © 1996-2010 Raphael Benedet - Contact Us