Login - Become a member

poly vs mesh

Forums home -> Modeling -> poly vs mesh

poly vs mesh 
By gamemania1986 on Dec 18, 2001 06:40 PM
Anyone care to explain the differences between editable poly and editable mesh in 3ds max 4?

thx
Re: poly vs mesh 
By Yanni_Mac on Dec 18, 2001 07:55 PM
there is almost no difference.  Editable mesh deals with triangular meshes and editable poly is for quad faces.  The controls are almost identical.  I don't really know why you would pick one over the other.  Mesh probably allows you to go into more detail b/c it gives you control over tri-faces.  
By toneselector on May 03, 2002 01:36 PM
Editable Polys allow for the surface to subdivide evenly. This will give a modeler a more predictable result when smoothing surfaces.

Editable Mesh allows the user to manipulate triangles.  This is a definite benefit for low polygon modeling, but it can most defiantly disrupt the workflow of high-poly character.  

One problem with Edit Mesh is that  it can result in an uneven number of vertices to be displaced when smoothed.  Edges can flip or stick out in areas because the computer can not come up with a better solution with the given mesh.

One could argue that one is better than the other like a Ford vs. Chevy battle but it will get nowhere.  The most important thing is to pre-plan and use the best tool available that the user is not only comfortable with but can get the job done efficiently and creatively.
By pappuftp on May 06, 2002 02:25 PM
well tone selector has thrown some light on the subject..
here is some additional input

as mentioned quad (read poly) faced surfaces deform better especially if u use meshsmooth..hence polyobjects are better in that respect..also u must understand that initially tri faces were adopted by max coz they always lie on a plane,they are always flat..ie they NEVER bend..on the other hand it is possible to bend a quad sided face.. i cant illustrate (show visually) the example here.. but some books do show u this basic difference..also mesh can get messy for high detailed models...and a lot of ppl who mesh model in max have fully switched to poly

btw poly objects was introduced in max as a respond to there game clients

i prefer polys because u can have multivertex faces.. asd opposed to mesh which can have only tri ones,
also the mseshtools maxscript.. cant do without those

hope this was of some help
By SynapticCore on Aug 01, 2002 09:26 AM
Yea the Poly was created for Game Developers as they can be mapped much more easily into a 3D Engine or something like that I heard...Plus the Textures don't distort much.

Page 1 of 1 Go to page: 1
Subscribe to RSS
Follow us on Twitter

Copyright © 1996-2010 Raphael Benedet - Contact Us