Login - Become a member

Mesh and polygonal mesh

Forums home -> Modeling -> Mesh and polygonal mesh

Mesh and polygonal mesh 
By kalote on Apr 25, 2002 09:14 PM
Is there any difference between mesh and polygonal mesh?
What is the difference between mesh model and polygonal model?
Thank you for your help.
Re: Mesh and polygonal mesh 
By CrimsonrusT on Apr 28, 2002 10:03 PM
from my experience there really isn't much difference between the two... a mesh is a representation of your model showing you the polygons that you have created.
By doom-blue on Apr 29, 2002 12:28 PM
Just the opposite. Big difference.
Mesh is  an array of  vertexes. They can be artificially smoothed. Poly is an array of vertexes, which are approximated by Nurbs, so object made of polys can represent more even forms enclosed in a small number of vertexes.
By pappuftp on May 08, 2002 03:00 PM
andrew u are a bit off teh mark.. see my earlier post
By Arachnode on May 09, 2002 09:40 PM
NURBS are resolution independant. There is an infinate number of control vertexes on a NURBS surface. They can get quite messy if you're not careful, and they offer no local control, meaning you cannot add a cv without adding isoparms which go across the entire surface. Polys are resolution dependant, there are as many verticies as what you see on the screen. They have local control, so you can split a polygon in one area instead of splitting the entire surface at once. Both NURBS and polygons have their upsides and their downsides, which is better, really depends on the person's preference, you can model in NURBS and convert them to Sub D's or Polys but you can't convert Polys to Nurbs, so I usually try to see if there's anything that would be better done in NURBS before I go and make it out of polys, so I can convert it later, but I start out with more options, unless I have a poly limit, then I don't even touch NURBS.
By Baby_Face on May 13, 2002 04:04 AM
A polygon has nothin to do with NURBS at all.  N.U.R.B.S. are Non-Uniform Rational B-Splines (curves basically).  A polygon, simply put, is defined by a set of verticies.  Don't get confused by the fact that renders sometimes convert NURBS models into polygon approximations (the maya renderer does this, were as prman/renderman actually renders NURBS).  A mesh is just a general term for the model (mesh, model....same thing to me) a polygon mesh is a mesh made up of polygons.  Thats all u need to know really.  Hope that clears everything up.

Feel free to correct me, as im sure someone will try hehe.

Page 1 of 1 Go to page: 1
Subscribe to RSS
Follow us on Twitter

Copyright © 1996-2010 Raphael Benedet - Contact Us