Login - Become a member

rigth way to do low-poly modeling?

Forums home -> Modeling -> rigth way to do low-poly modeling?

rigth way to do low-poly modeling? 
By zone_zero on Jan 08, 2002 06:57 AM
Well, I can do highend modeling pretty well. But I would like to learn or I'm learning how to do low-polygon models. So I bought a book about modeling for games. It's not a bad book but I usuallly do my (highend) modeling primaly with loft or spline modeling. The author of the book work always at the same way: he draws a raw spline, extrude it and get the vertices at the right position. I searched in the internet about low poly modeling techniques and it looks like everybody does at the same way (quake for exemple). My question is, can't I for example do an airplane with splines modeling and set the surface tool option to "0" steps and reset the smooth id's. I'm trying that now and it looks like pretty good and the amount of polygons are very low, maybe lower than what I have seen at the book. Or there is any problems that can appear later for the programmers of a game or maybe texture mapping???
Re: rigth way to do low-poly modeling? 
By Koztah3d on Jan 08, 2002 10:01 AM
Nope. No problems with low-poly spline modelling. Why? Because after you surface it, and collapse the stack to Editable mesh, it's just a mesh, and a mesh is a mesh is a mesh.
For low-poly characters I like to use surface tools, but for other complex objects, a combination of surface tools and box modelling works best. For me, anyway.

Page 1 of 1 Go to page: 1
Subscribe to RSS
Follow us on Twitter

Copyright © 1996-2010 Raphael Benedet - Contact Us