Login - Become a member

Spline modeling gone went against me

Forums home -> Modeling -> Spline modeling gone went against me

Spline modeling gone went against me 
By PolarPrick on Jan 01, 2002 12:48 PM
I'm modeling an alien head with splines, but I can't weld two vertices together. It's the two vertices that meet on top of the head after I created the outline of the front and side. One of the vertices is "first", and thereby marked as a square. Is it so that I can't weld these vertices without setting another one to first ??? I should post some images here, but server is down till tomorrow. Maybe someone understood. There are many people here who has done this many times before. BTW: Modeling a head using splines is harder than I thought.

Last modification: Martin Andersson - 01/01/02 at 13:48:37
Re: Spline modeling gone went against me 
By Koztah3d on Jan 02, 2002 09:46 AM
Well, in the end, welding isn't all that important - fusing will do the job just fine!

But, if you really insist on welding, and the vertices refuse, try this:

turn on your snap, set it to vertices (only)
Then move the rebel vertice around a bit and bring it back so it snaps to whatever vertice you want it to weld to - it'll ask you "Weld coincident end-points?"
Say yes, but make sure they don't coincide with any other verices or you'll end up with a big useless lump of vertices where your spline cage used to be (so undo, hehe).

This will only work if our weld threshold (under Edit Spline in Modify) is set higher than zero (default is 0.1). So, obviously, if those 'Weld coincident end-points?' popus start to annoy you, lower it to zero.

Hope this helps ;)
By PolarPrick on Jan 02, 2002 12:56 PM
So, not welding won't mess up when I add the surface modifier? I thought the cage had to be "closed".. Well, actually after doing some hard thinking and planning, I  realized I have to do some weeks with planning.
By Koztah3d on Jan 02, 2002 07:09 PM
Fuse is fine, it won't mess up your surface - try this, this is how I work: Make a clone of your spline cage as a Reference, amd apply the Surface modifier to the reference -then as you work on your original spline cage, the reference, now in a mesh, will update itself as you work. Nothing is simpler!

Page 1 of 1 Go to page: 1
Subscribe to RSS
Follow us on Twitter

Copyright © 1996-2010 Raphael Benedet - Contact Us