Login - Become a member

Which Technique?  Guide Me...

Forums home -> Modeling -> Which Technique?  Guide Me...

Which Technique?  Guide Me... 
By gamemania1986 on Dec 14, 2001 12:52 AM
My 2nd month in 3d modeling...

There are some available modeling techniques:

1) Polygon/mesh modeling
2) NURBS
3) Patch modeling
4) Subdivision Surface

What I don't yet know is subdivision surfaces.  Any good links/introduction to it?

Also, which one do you think is the best (in terms of ease to use, speed, and power)?  Which one should I master/master first?

Also, should concentrate 100% on modeling first or should I learn it altogether with texturing and lighting?

Thank you.
Re: Which Technique?  Guide Me... 
By gamemania1986 on Dec 14, 2001 03:19 AM
Btw, using 3ds max 4.2.  I heard that NURBS sucks a lot in 3dsmax, so do you think I should waste my time mastering/learning it?
By Yanni_Mac on Dec 14, 2001 09:19 AM
It really depends on what you are trying to model.  Different techniques work better for different objects.  Subdivision surfaces are a really great modeling tool for characters and other organic objects.  Patches and Nurbs are good for modeling cars and other things that have smooth curves.  Some people use nurbs to model characters, but I think subdiv is much easier and faster.  I would concentrate on poly editing first, since that is the basis for using subdivision surfaces.  If you want to learn more about subdiv surfaces just follow this link.  http://cube.phlatt.net/forums/spiraloid/ .   This is the best subdiv forum on the net.  There are also a couple of links to good tutorials in this forum posted by ambient.  I can't remember what they are, though.  I am sure he will repost them for you if he reads this thread.
By Koztah3d on Dec 20, 2001 11:03 PM
If you use Max, I can't say it enough, Surface Tools!

Page 1 of 1 Go to page: 1
Subscribe to RSS
Follow us on Twitter

Copyright © 1996-2010 Raphael Benedet - Contact Us