Login - Become a member

Stuck in Modeling a Guitar!  help!

Forums home -> Modeling -> Stuck in Modeling a Guitar!  help!

Stuck in Modeling a Guitar!  help! 
By gamemania1986 on Nov 30, 2001 04:28 PM
First of all I'm still new to 3ds max.

I tried to model a guitar by:

1)to create half of the guitar's body.

1a)created a curved line.
1b)duplicated it (1 for top side, one for bottom side)
1c)attached both lines
1d)added a cross section modifier
1e)added a surface modifier

the result is not what I expected.  Here's the comparison of the result (2 sided on in the viewport) and what I want.

If you can't see the image please go to this link http://awholenewworld.0catch.com/help/image1.jpg

Could someone guide me how to achieve what I want?

Thanks in advance!

Last modification: Agro Rachmatullah - 11/30/01 at 17:28:40
Re: Stuck in Modeling a Guitar!  help! 
By Koztah3d on Nov 30, 2001 05:25 PM
In order to form a surface, every shape in your spline cage must have no more than 4 and no less than 3 vertices. You also have to close every shape.

Here is, in my opinion, the best method for working with surface tools:

1)Draw your spline cage. Not all of it, but enough of it. Time for adjustment is later.
2)THEN, clone your spline cage as a reference and apply a surface modifier on the clone.
3)Make adjustments to your original spline cage and see the reference change as you work.

That way yu always know what you're doing and how it's going to look, and you can fix any mistakes as you make them. ;)
By Yanni_Mac on Dec 02, 2001 04:24 PM
It would be a lot easier for you to just draw the spline for half of the guitar, mirror it, attach the two splines, make sure that all verts are connected (unconnected spline segments will yield unsatisfacory results.  it must form a closed loop) and then put an extrude modifier on it.  This would give you a solid shape without having to worry about a surface modifier.  I personally find the suface modifier a pain in the ass, especially with complex models.  If you want to make the guitar a hollow body, just duplicate it, scale it down a bit and put the smaller model inside the origional.  Then use booleans to subtract the smaller part, subtract out a hole using a cylinder and walah,  you have an acoustic guitar!  Hope this helps.
By gamemania1986 on Dec 02, 2001 06:48 PM
My guitar is almost done (using the surface modifier) but I noticed the surface modifier made some weird things in areas of complex curves.  That's why I'll try the extruding method.

btw I figured out booleaning stuffs already by myself ( I'm a programmer also, and programmers do lots of booleaning :) ).  Thx for the tips anyway.
By gamemania1986 on Dec 09, 2001 08:05 AM
Got another obstacle.  Plz help...

here are the latest images:

[URL]http://awholenewworld.0catch.com/dev-02.htm[/URL]

Look at the end of the guitar, actually it should blend with the roundness of the adjacent part, any tricks/method to blend it?

Thanks a lot...
By Yanni_Mac on Dec 09, 2001 07:32 PM
It looks like you made that part out of a box as a seperate peice.  You may want to start over on this peice.  You should create a box with enough length, width, and height segments to manipulate the vertices to the shape you want.  Then convert it to editable mesh or poly and start moving the vertices to make a rounded shape at the end. Read up on poly or mesh editing.  You can make about anything you want with this method and the smooth modifier.  

Page 1 of 1 Go to page: 1
Subscribe to RSS
Follow us on Twitter

Copyright © 1996-2010 Raphael Benedet - Contact Us