Login - Become a member

How to model a... (Quite alot of info inside)

Forums home -> Modeling -> How to model a... (Quite alot of info inside)

How to model a... (Quite alot of info inside) 
By KayumRoy on Nov 07, 2001 11:57 AM
How exactly would i go about modelling a stereo speaker in 3d studio max?

I've made quite a few scenes, all very simple ( http://klr.netfirms.com if you want an idea at what level im at) but i've generally tried to keep away from serious modelling, because basically, it's hard.

Looking at it from my POV, where would be the best place to start? I understand "alot" of 3dsm, how it works, what things do, different types of modelling so on so forth. But after looking at the talent in this forum, i've decicded to get on with more serious aspects of 3dsm (For me, this is modelling).

I can box model to an extent, creating some basic objects, and at the moement, its not the knowledge of how the program works that im lacking, its the experiance in key areas.

So, two questions:

1: What would be the best way to model a speaker? (A largish speaker, the problem is speakers have curves and shape ends, which really confuses me, how eactly do i create a smooth curve, but give it a sharpe edge?)

2: Where would be the best place to start modelling (should i go striaght in with characters, work on different limbs, or perhaps not work on anything organic at all?)

Thanks everyone for your time,

Gards,

Kayum Roy
Re: How to model a... (Quite alot of info inside) 
By KayumRoy on Nov 07, 2001 12:00 PM
Oh, and what exactly is the difference between nurbs modeling, and surface modeling?
By Koztah3d on Nov 07, 2001 09:45 PM
Okay, in NURBS, you dont get to draw like tou do with splines - you start with a nurbs primitive or plane and you mold it, and all the vertices are mandatorily beziers, not corners, not smooth, not bezier-corners, just beziers. Nurbs are good for quickly making simple organic objects, or rounded things like cars, but I much prefer the control I get from surface tools.

As for your speaker, just look at one. it doesn't have to be all one mesh, you can group 'em or attach em and use a multi-subobject material. Why would you have trouble making a speaker?

As for the 'sharp-yet-smooth' edges, you have this little tool called chamfr in modify, just select the edges you want to look better and chamfer a tiny bit, then the two resulting edges will be sleected, and chamfer them a bit, repeat until satisfaction results.

Remember: your model doesn't need to be built like the real thing, it just as to LOOK like the real thing. It's the art of illusion.

Last modification: Koztah - 11/07/01 at 22:45:32
By KayumRoy on Nov 07, 2001 10:59 PM

Cheers for your info, heres the speaker, you can see what i mean regarding smooth/sharpe surfaces. I took a look at the chamfer tool, but im not sure you understood what i mean't?

Heres what i would do on this model:
Plan out the basic mesh/meshes with box modeling, then select the surfaces i want to meshsmooth.
That doesn't work though, because the smoothing spills over into the surrounding edges. THat's why i thoguht perhaps surface modelling or nurbs would be better for the curves? who knows.

Last modification: Kayum - 11/07/01 at 23:59:47
By Koztah3d on Nov 10, 2001 09:51 AM
It's sort of a pain to make decent corners with NURVS, so I'd suggest Surface tools. The speaker doesn't HAVE to be a single mesh, no need to attach 'em even, just group.
And your pic isn't howing =P
By KayumRoy on Nov 10, 2001 03:18 PM

...Is for me
By Koztah3d on Nov 10, 2001 09:05 PM
Hmm, that speaker looks like something you'd start with surface tools, mainly for the round bit in the center, and then adjust the rest in edit mesh.

Or at least, that's how I'd go about it.

Last modification: Koztah - 11/10/01 at 22:05:00

Page 1 of 1 Go to page: 1
Subscribe to RSS
Follow us on Twitter

Copyright © 1996-2010 Raphael Benedet - Contact Us