Login - Become a member

Paper-thin coat...

Forums home -> Modeling -> Paper-thin coat...

Paper-thin coat... 
By BBQ_Sauce_King on Apr 07, 2001 05:51 PM
I am currently modeling a character based on the videogame Final Fantasy IX. To my suprise I manged to model the whole character from feet to hair, but I'm having a lot of trouble making his coat. The only problem actually is that I have no idea how to make the coat look "thick". Righ tnow it looks thin like a sheet of paper (well, it's really thin like a polygone).

The only way I managed to make it look thick was by using the same technique I used for the hat. I duplicated the object and reduced its size just a bit, then connected all the ends togheter by adding polygones. But with a coat it can take a lot of time, and my result was not very good. So what do you guys usually do when you want to add thickness to a very thin surface? Bevel? That didn't work, it made the whole coat look like it had bumps on it.

I'm using Lightwave, but any comments would be appreciate because it might give me some idea.s Thanks:)
Re: Paper-thin coat... 
By ZombieCzar on Apr 07, 2001 06:16 PM
I don't know if this will work in lightwave.. extrude faces or patches or whatever your useing..
By BBQ_Sauce_King on Apr 08, 2001 09:41 AM
Well I did try to extrude. If I could extrude in the x y and z axis at the same time then it would work, but I can only extrude in one direction at a time, hence I end up with the same result I had with the beveling. I guess I'll have to find a plugin or something. Thanks for the reply:)
By ZombieCzar on Apr 08, 2001 12:59 PM
can you extrude by face normal?
By BBQ_Sauce_King on Apr 08, 2001 03:37 PM
Not sure what you mean by that. I tried something else today which gave me better results. I duplicated the coat and then used the Sm Scale command, which resizes the object without deplacing it. Then I connected the two "coats" togheter as usual. But I'm sure there's a way to make a thin object thicker by using numerical values. Right now I'll keep on using that command. What would you do if you had an object shaped like this _/ (like two polygones seen from the side) and wanted them to be thicker? If you extruded them then the _ polygone and the / one would need to be extruded one after the other, or else you would end up extruding in one direction only.
By ambient-whisper on Apr 09, 2001 07:56 PM
well...depending on how you modelled him.. you can always extrude an edge a few times...and then fold it inwards where theres an opening..
that will give the coat an illusion of thickness.
By Anthony on May 06, 2001 12:17 AM
Grab the free extender plugin off Flay(do a search in their plugin section). Make it into a button in Modeler, as you'll use it constantly. Select the points, in order, around the rim of your coat, and click on extender. Then drag those where you want them. Use the drag points tool or the magnet tool with those points selected and it'll only drag the ones you want to drag. Since you're doing a closed loop, you won't have to worry about the closing poly it creates otherwise. But if you ever extend something, say when you're modeling a face, it creates one extra poly that extends all the way along the selected points, and must be deleted. I assume you're using Subdivision Surfaces in this?
By diaz on May 12, 2001 03:51 AM
Well, BBQ, i'm not sure about this method, but i think it will work (I tried it on a sphere as well as on a deformed plane and it worked just fine.)

Simply, copy your coat polygons into another layer, smooth bevel them a little (shift+f), and then bring them back to the original layer, and then hit "m" to merge points. When I tried this, it created no >4 point polygons, so afterwards (if this works) you can subdivide to elliminate the hard edges. I think this should do the trick.

Hope i've been helpful enough.
By diaz on May 12, 2001 03:53 AM
Oh, I forgot to tell you, this is the same as duplicating, resizing, and then joining the two objects together..:)
By penisenlargement on Sep 26, 2010 05:15 AM
What a great idea!! i'ld like to know more how many people you met on 1st sept, i'm quite late to see this blog.
Mr. president doing great with HEALTH issues, just few day's before FDA release new rules of packed food products to display all the details of energy and this are issued with taking public opinions from allover country.

Very good! penis enlargement pills Nice information this is really interesting - vimax and vigrx plus - Good luck in building the table.

Page 1 of 1 Go to page: 1
Subscribe to RSS
Follow us on Twitter

Copyright © 1996-2010 Raphael Benedet - Contact Us