Login - Become a member

how do u bevel and smooth edges?

Forums home -> Modeling -> how do u bevel and smooth edges?

how do u bevel and smooth edges? 
By on Dec 25, 2000 08:00 AM
hi guys i have a model of a mech which i have made. it doesnt look that nice because the edges r square and sharp i have seen some tutorials that can do that such as edgefx but it cost $75 us!

i have alos found somefree plugins but when i use lw 3d to add plugin they say "could not be found in file or could not be opened" do any of u know why this happens?

can u guys also tell me how to smooth and bevel my sharp edges? thx

Re: how do u bevel and smooth edges? 
By on Dec 25, 2000 04:21 PM
I don't use Lightwave much but this techniqe should work. Refine the all the corners and edges by adding a vert, then move the outer corner verts in. make the new polys in same smooth group and in there respective smooth groups(the faces they were cut from.
It's alotta work but it looks great and your other options for this are to rebuild it or add tons of faces.
By on Dec 26, 2000 06:38 PM
Ahmmm...

Why donīt you just select your whole mech and go to modifiers -> more -> apply smooth ?

Life can be so simple ...:)
By on Dec 26, 2000 06:39 PM
I meant meshsmooth .
By on Dec 26, 2000 08:00 PM
Thats what I meant when I said add tons of faces.
By ambient-whisper on Dec 26, 2000 09:44 PM
actually..i dont think that mesh smooth is good for what hes doing...
since mesh smooth will make things look "more organic" then just make sure you use the bevel edge command and bevel very little...
and then ..use ids for smoothing and smooth the edges only...
this should give nice smooth edges while keeping things looking mechanical..
By SeanW on Jan 07, 2001 11:38 AM
well I'm not sure what ids are but to answer your problem just select the polys you want with less of an edge and hit b (bevel) then you can numericaly shift the polys out and then in. (n is your numeric hot key).  That will get rid of that cg perfect edge your talking about.  Remember bevel will bevel each individual polygon so if you want several to bevel together use smooth shift which i believe is shift f.  I hope that answers your problem.
By diaz on May 05, 2001 09:35 AM
Well, i also came accross this problem many times, and I have come up with a solution that works pretty good, though it adds quite a number of polys. Make a box with 10x10x10 segments. Try to subdivide it, using metamorf; you'll get a box with smooth edges. The overall shape of the box will remain the same, but the edges will become smooth. The reason for this effect, are the polygons at the edges of the box. Make a box with 1x1x1 segments, and then use knife to cut the box at the edges (not the corners), and then metaform. You could use knife to do the same on your mesh, but that would take months. Instead, simply subdivide with the option faceted selected two or three times, and them subdivide with the option metaform selected as many times as required. This will result in the model you are trying to make (hopefully) but an awful lot of polygons as well. You can always use gemloss later to cut down polygon count. I hope this techinque helps.

Page 1 of 1 Go to page: 1
Subscribe to RSS
Follow us on Twitter

Copyright © 1996-2010 Raphael Benedet - Contact Us