Login - Become a member

Problems with "handling" splines

Forums home -> Modeling -> Problems with "handling" splines

Problems with "handling" splines 
By on Nov 08, 2000 09:03 AM
Hi everybody,

I just want to ask some basic questions about spline modeling. usually I m quite into polygonal modeling and mesh smoothing afterwards. But lately I īve been trying to create some sort of head with spline-modeling. I got on with it quite well , first creating the outlines of the face then trying to create the roundness of the head by creating circles starting from the top down to the forehead , then down the nose to the chin....
but with time eveything became quite confusing especially from the top view and I couldnīt distingish between the different lines anymore. I also used the hide-button and all this but nevertheless I came to the point where I thought that polygonal modelling is much more controllable;
so my first question is whether outlining the face in spline modelling  is the right way to do it or are there any other EASIER ways to do it with splines?
Another problem I encountered was  the roundness of the Head itself (after I put a surface modificator over it) seemed to be far away form the roundness and smoothness I achieve with mesh smooth...Are there any tricks or tips to handle this in spline modelling? I mean I always hear that with splines the curves get almost as smooth as with nurbs .
Re: Problems with "handling" splines 
By Salvo on Nov 08, 2000 11:09 AM
Generally I convert all vertex to smooth mode and after reconvert them into bezier or bezier corner mode.
I use bezier to create very smooth curves and bezier corners to create particular as the nostrills, eyes, etc..
I hope this will help you.
By on Nov 10, 2000 09:52 AM
To start with spline modeling, I always use references when ever possible.  This allows for a much smoother curves in the long run.  Usually, I use only 3 views, side (profile), front, and the perspective veiw.  Top view gets too confusing because the curves tend mix together, and I have a hard time following vertex to vertex.  If you got it, I would suggest using Cross Section and Surface (Surface Tools) to help build the cross section curves.  This takes some work off your load.  Outlining the object is still one of the best methods to modeling.  
The best way I have found to make a smooth model is to use patches versus straight up polygons.  This will allow you to keep the bezier handles (great for facial animations), and it also automatically smooths over rough areas rather accurately, and since it is a patch, the amount of triangles is contolled very well.  
I hope this gives some insight also.
By on Nov 12, 2000 09:57 AM
Thanks for your reply, it helped me a lot.
Iīll try a new one *gg*

Page 1 of 1 Go to page: 1
Subscribe to RSS
Follow us on Twitter

Copyright © 1996-2010 Raphael Benedet - Contact Us