Login - Become a member

maya unlimited or maya complete?

Forums home -> Maya -> maya unlimited or maya complete?

maya unlimited or maya complete? 
By sukysuk on Nov 26, 2002 10:36 AM
hello folx. this is my first post. ijust got maya unlimited 4.5 yesterday and it gave me the option of installing that or unlimited. does anybody know the difference between the two?

this is also my first week of using 3d imaging software, should i start with maya 4.5 or use 3ds max 5?  

newbie here, anyhelp would be appreciated.
Re: maya unlimited or maya complete? 
By oh_what_a_night on Nov 26, 2002 12:49 PM
Maya Unlimited of course.The complete version has disabled a lot of options(i dont remember which)
Also when i started 3d i first used 3d max.When later i discovered Maya i ve never used max again.Many people would disagree with me but all the directors in their hollywoodian movies agree.Maybe they know better...  :)
I hope i helped
By canavan on Nov 28, 2002 08:56 PM
I would agree with the above response...maya makes 3ds look like clipart.  I started with 3ds and now am learning maya....wish i had done it the other way...

-canavan
By mooR on Dec 16, 2002 01:51 AM
sukysuk, The difference between Maya Complete and Maya Unlimited is hidden in 4 plugins that make the Unlimited version rock n roll.
* Maya Fluid Effects (starting from ver4.5)
* Maya Cloth
* Maya Fur
* Maya Life MatchMoving

also, you should check the Alias|Wavefront web page
www.aliaswavefront.com , and check out the product you'd like to work with.

how to learn : work!

By Learner88 on Jun 12, 2004 02:33 PM
i agree with what a night...i made the same expirience..i started with 3ds max 4...then 3ds max 6...but when i started with maya...wooow big difference!!!i made this choose also because movie companies choose maya everytimes!(lord of the rings matrix star wars..and many others!!)
Both are great! 
By gstapleton on Sep 29, 2004 11:04 PM
Both Complete and Unlimited are great but for the artist that likes to rev it up a notch, the Unlimited version is the best. Come on...who can resist creating a moving Ocean on the fly.
Yeah Maya Unlimited kicks ass 
By Thee Eyeball Kid on Feb 05, 2005 11:25 AM
Maya Unlimited is definitely the way to go.

Used to be that Maya was used predominantly in the movie industry while 3DS Max was used more in game development. But nowadays it seems there is more crossover, since files from either application can be read by the other. Max has always been easier to use when it comes to creating & animating characters. Some of the new Max 7 physics engine is pretty impressive, too. It all depends on exactly what you are going to be doing with it.

I started doing 3D using Lightwave back in about 1998. Back then LW and Inspire were pretty much the only choices available to me, since those were all they taught in most of the graphics departments of my school for my first couple years. To learn Maya in a classroom, I would have had to take a class in the Animation dept, which had pre-reqs in traditional animation which I couldn't be bothered with... Anyway, in retrospect, I am glad I learned 3D on a less intimidating application.

If you're just starting out, I'd pick a less formidable app until you get the hang of visualizing and manipulating things in 3D space--I found that to be one of the biggest challenges of learning 3D--but stay away from the crappy, prefab-type apps like Bryce or Poser. Those won't teach you anything in the way of real 3D modeling (though some of them may have limited uses in practical 3D work). I still recommend Lightwave for just getting started--you can do a lot of really cool stuff, plus it's easy to learn & use. The only things about LW that differ from the way other 3D apps work are the way they name the camera movements, and the fact that modeling and animation are done in different discrete applications (Lightwave Modeler and Lightwave Studio -- I found that to be one major feature about LW that made it easier to learn, as well).

Anyway, the Maya learning curve may be very steep (@least a year of regular-almost daily use to become really proficient), especially for a beginner in 3D, but the rewards of stick-to-itiveness are great--you can create pretty much anything you can imagine using Maya. And there are many plugins available to extend Maya's already respectable versatility and functionality.

Sorry for the dissertation, this is my 1st post on this forum, and I wanted to make it a good introduction.

--eyebalkid

(BTW gstapleton, did you ever use the ocean shader to create a death-ray? Just make a cylinder or a cube that's real long and narrow, in the rendering options give it an eerie colored glow and do the surfaces with an ocean shader--it's total ghetto approach, but it looks cool enough when animated ;~)

Page 1 of 1 Go to page: 1
Subscribe to RSS
Follow us on Twitter

Copyright © 1996-2010 Raphael Benedet - Contact Us