Login - Become a member

Walk/Run Cycles With I.K.

Forums home -> 3D Studio MAX -> Walk/Run Cycles With I.K.

Walk/Run Cycles With I.K. 
By Baby_Face on May 13, 2002 12:05 AM
I've just started animating with Max 3.  Im trying to use IK to produce the standard walk and run cycles (say for use in a computer game) just to get to know the system.  My problem is cycling the sequence.  All my dummies and end effectors are in the same position at the start and end of the 25 frame sequence but the bones, and hence my skinned mesh, are not in the same position at start and end.  Ive gone through the tutorials and read everything i can find in the reference etc, and on this forum.  All that i can find.  Any tips, links to tutorials??  God i remember Maya's IK bein much easier to use.  Do i have to go back to FK??? lol
Re: Walk/Run Cycles With I.K. 
By Koztah3d on May 26, 2002 08:21 AM
Bones in Max3 are a real pain - if you're trying to animate a human (if), why not just use the biped?
By Baby_Face on May 27, 2002 04:10 AM
What exactly is biped??? Is it a plugin??  Ive seen it mentioned once on this forum i think, i gather its a system specificaly designed for humanoid characters.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.  I did a run cycle and this time it repeated/cycled perfectly.  Im not exactly sure what i did differently.  My setup is similar to that in the bug tutorial that comes with max 3.  'Cept this time i didnt rotate the dummies used to position the end effectors for the feet (because that screwed up my walk cycle when copying keys!!!  It did the wierdest stuff.)  I'm currently trying to animate a short 'leap' or bounding run, it had better work or i will punch my monitor through.  I might try to get a copy of maya....though, that used to drive me mad too!! hehe.   >:( :D :( ??? ;D :-/ :'( :'( :'( (hysterical crazy behaviour)
By Koztah3d on May 27, 2002 10:18 AM
Biped is, in most basic terms, a humanoid skeleton, but it's completely customizable. The pluygin is called Character Studio...it's pretty standard for Max. It has a number of features for helping you assign your character, as well as some nifty features for animation, like footsteps -  which makes your biped follow the footsteps and pretty much animates the walking..though it does end up looking constipated, so you use footsteps for the basic anim. and then spend a few hours tweaking...it also supports importing mocap data from FiLMBOX, and you can save your animations in *.bip format, and there's also a feature called motion flow, where you can link many animation sequences together. Since you spoke of games, most games that are made with Max use CStudio (biped) fo animationg the humanoids - the earliest I can think of using it would be Half-Life. Hell, once I helped a guy use biped in conjunction with bones to build a skeleton for a centaur - so it can be pretty versatile.  

By Baby_Face on May 28, 2002 12:45 AM
Aha, character studio....so those sneaky peeps at discrete made their bones and ik's completely crap, unpredictable and inconsistant (or is it just me??) just so that you have to go out and pay another shit load for character studio?  Clever.

It was driving me mad again last night when i was doing my 'leap'.  The god damn mesh only seems to move into position about five frames after the keys have been set for the end effectors.  At the end of the leap i wanted the legs to straighten up again in a standing pose.  It just wasnt happening.  I took off "ease" and increased the iterations from 20 to 100.  This helped the standing pose but has made bits of the animation worse.  The mesh still moves after the final frame!!!  Why doesnt all the movement occur between keys??  The interpolation is set to linear too, so none of that wierd spline curve going back on its self shit either.  Its just not making any sense!!!  :'(  Thanx for the response though.  I doubt ill be able to get character studio so ill have to trudge on.
By penisenlargement on Sep 26, 2010 04:42 AM
What a great idea!! i'ld like to know more how many people you met on 1st sept, i'm quite late to see this blog.
Mr. president doing great with HEALTH issues, just few day's before FDA release new rules of packed food products to display all the details of energy and this are issued with taking public opinions from allover country.

Very good! penis enlargement pills Nice information this is really interesting - vimax and vigrx plus - Good luck in building the table.

Page 1 of 1 Go to page: 1
Subscribe to RSS
Follow us on Twitter

Copyright © 1996-2010 Raphael Benedet - Contact Us