Login - Become a member

HELP - Unwrapping a model with textures

Forums home -> 3D Studio MAX -> HELP - Unwrapping a model with textures

HELP - Unwrapping a model with textures 
By Nemesis2001 on Mar 10, 2002 05:13 PM
Hi everyone,

I have been modelling for quite some time now, but i have reached a stage where i need to make a texture biutmap of a particular model, they model is going into a game engine, so the texture needs to be "wrapped" onto it, i have tried many ways of unwrapping the texture from the model but have had little success, i used Textporter to unwrap the model, and it appeared to do it... sorta, but it didnt have the textures. What i would really need is this, to unwrap the whole model with the existing texture still onit so i can render that from the top view and save it as the bitmap which will be used by the game, i have heard of programs that unwrap the model for you, and then u can "paint" on the textures, but i just need it unwrapped with the textures that are already on it. Is there anything in MAX that can do this? or will i need a speciel program?

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,

-Nemesis
Project Lakarus

Last modification: Andras Nagy - 03/10/02 at 18:13:44
Re: HELP - Unwrapping a model with textures 
By Yanni_Mac on Mar 11, 2002 08:20 AM
There is no program that will just unwrap it for you, that I am aware of.  Did you apply the textures that are already on it by using material id's for sets of polygons?  You are going to have to apply a edit mesh modifier to the top of the stack and detach groups of faces from your model.  For example, detach the front of the head, the sides of the head, and the top and the bottom of the head.  Then rotate sides, top, and bottom until the are all facing the front view.  Then use the scale tool to scale each of the faces so that they are almost the same size as they would be on the regular model.  This is neccesary, because when you detach the side of the face and rotate it it will still be curved a little, which will make some of the faces a little smaller in the front view than they would actually be in the perspective view.  Once you have rotated and scaled each group, reattach them so that all of the groups are connected.  Then apply an unwrap UVW modifier to the stack.  Your texture coordinates will be in place now.  Next render in the front view and your texture will be rendered.  Then you can save it as a bitmap, delete the edit mesh modifier and re-apply the saved texture.  Sounds complicated, I know.  If you want a better explanation, buy this book.
 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1556228155/qid%3D1015867146/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F0%5F1/104-7912720-6875960
It gives a detailed example of the method.
By Koztah3d on Mar 13, 2002 11:11 AM
Chiliskinner will unwrap the model for you (thoe mesh itself, not the UV's) - it's a script, not a plugin though. I personally don't like the way it works, especially on anything over 1000 poly.
By skogskalle on Mar 14, 2002 02:33 AM
There is a new plugin out there called Mankua QuickUVW...I think it will help you

check it out at www.mankua.com

By Nemesis on Mar 14, 2002 11:03 AM
Looks lik what i need, does anyone know of a freeware version, another prgram that does this but is freeware/shareware? really low budget now... hehe =-(
By penisenlargement on Sep 26, 2010 04:46 AM
What a great idea!! i'ld like to know more how many people you met on 1st sept, i'm quite late to see this blog.
Mr. president doing great with HEALTH issues, just few day's before FDA release new rules of packed food products to display all the details of energy and this are issued with taking public opinions from allover country.

Very good! penis enlargement pills Nice information this is really interesting - vimax and vigrx plus - Good luck in building the table.

Page 1 of 1 Go to page: 1
Subscribe to RSS
Follow us on Twitter

Copyright © 1996-2010 Raphael Benedet - Contact Us