Login - Become a member

Rendering time sucks

Forums home -> 3D Studio MAX -> Rendering time sucks

Rendering time sucks 
By deestilo on Oct 06, 2001 12:38 PM
I have a thunderbird 1 gigs and 512 RAM

but when I rendered a complex scene my CPU usage gone 100 % and the available RAM is still about 300 or so...

How can I improve rendering speed by using this available RAM that I have ?
:(
Re: Rendering time sucks 
By CrimsonrusT on Oct 07, 2001 10:57 PM
In my experience... render times are not dependant on the amount of ram you have it is the cpu that does the rendering... If your cpu is running 100%, then it isn't possible for it to use the other 212 meg :)

Please correct me if i am wrong...
By Baby_Face on Oct 08, 2001 02:57 PM
i thought the graphics card and cpu handled renderings mostly.  Ram is used to run the applications and helps to increase the 'size' of your scenes before the comp slows down as u work.  Or somethin like that.
By Koztah3d on Oct 08, 2001 09:24 PM
Graphic card has -nothing- to do with rendering at all, only real-time viewport rendering.
By micromike777 on Oct 16, 2001 03:47 PM
Maybe get a dual processor to speed things up. I heard that pentium 4 (1.8 GHz) dual processors with 2GB of RDRAM (using windows XP) speeds things up a great deal, correct me if I'm wrong.
(PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, because that is what I plan on getting soon.)
By Koztah3d on Oct 16, 2001 05:13 PM
I wouldn't jump on XP right away- for stable-ness I think you'd be better off with Win2k or even NT4. XP=resource hog
By micromike777 on Oct 18, 2001 10:11 AM
XP is the only OS that can handle 2GB of RAM.
I think..... Is this correct?
By groover on Oct 18, 2001 01:27 PM
Windows 2000 can handle up to 4Gb of RAM. Any dual processor configuration will vastly speed up rendering times (or any other multi threaded task - like photoshopping).

There is no way to force MAX to use all your RAM -on the other hand dont worry, although it says it is using virtual memory - it isnt the same as the paging which occurs when you run out of RAM . Max loads all the bits of information it needs to use often into RAM & saves the rest to the harddrive. The one thing which alters this is the 'reduce memory use' checkbox on the render dialog (its called something like that - reduce memory, save memory, something like that) you DONT want this checked...

Michael - have a look around the net for information on RDRAM - (toms hardware is a good source of info) its quite expensive & although it has a much higher bandwith, it also has corrispondingly high latency (ie how long before the processor can start accessing the ram) if you can wait a bit there should be some mobo's coming out with DDR RAM (if Intel allows it) & even now you can get P4 mobos with SDram (it may seem like going backwards, but if you look at the price/performance tradeoff it may well be worth it)
By micromike777 on Oct 18, 2001 03:21 PM
Wow...
Thanks for the advice. You just saved me from making a rather bad mistake.
By Freak4_3DSmax on Feb 26, 2002 03:56 PM
Chris... '...The one thing which alters this is the 'reduce memory use' checkbox on the render dialog (its called something like that - reduce memory, save memory, something like that) you DONT want this checked...'

By turning off the 'save memory' feature in MAX, cause the program to us all memory needed for rendering job?  Is there a good time to use that setting, one of the books I am using to learn MAX says that it should be used to conserve memory.
(I have a P3 933Mhz, 512MB RAM, GeFroce2 MX400 w/ 64mb RAM, running on Win2000)

Just a thought...
By penisenlargement on Sep 26, 2010 04:47 AM
What a great idea!! i'ld like to know more how many people you met on 1st sept, i'm quite late to see this blog.
Mr. president doing great with HEALTH issues, just few day's before FDA release new rules of packed food products to display all the details of energy and this are issued with taking public opinions from allover country.

Very good! penis enlargement pills Nice information this is really interesting - vimax and vigrx plus - Good luck in building the table.

Page 1 of 1 Go to page: 1
Subscribe to RSS
Follow us on Twitter

Copyright © 1996-2010 Raphael Benedet - Contact Us