Wisconsin offense is producing

Forums home -> Post 3D Art -> Wisconsin offense is producing

Wisconsin offense is producing 
By xiguai on Jul 07, 2014 06:06 AM
<P>Wisconsin offense is producing</P>
<P></P>
<P>Saturday the results are irrefutable.</P>
<P></P>
<P>UW is averaging 505.8 yards per game, ahead of the program record of 469.9 ypg set in 2011 when Russell Wilson led the offense.</P>
<P></P>
<P>The numbers posted so far this season are the result of collaboration among the coaches and execution by the players, but it appears Andersen's call to hire Ludwig away from San Diego State was brilliant.</P>
<P></P>
<P>"He's the most organized person that I've ever seen in my life," said Andersen, who worked with Ludwig at Utah from 2005 through '08. "His computer sits on his desk full of information. and then he fit the offense. That was probably the biggest thing, his ability to be able to adapt offenses like he did when he came to Utah and we didn't have a tight end on the roster.</P>
<P></P>
<P>"We had to adjust to the spread offense, and he did Anthony Hitchens Jersey a very, very good job in that time frame until he left. Then he went on and got back into the pro style stuff and did a great job where he's been. He can use the best kids around."</P>
<P></P>
<P>Minnesota coach Jerry Kill, who coached at Southern Illinois from 2001 '07 and at Northern Illinois from 2008 '10 before heading north to the Twin Cities in 2011, is familiar with the UW program built by Barry Alvarez, tweaked by Bret Bielema and then turned over to Andersen when Bielema left for Arkansas.</P>
<P></P>
<P>"Offensively they haven't changed, and they're very good," Kill said. Woods has built a versatile and productive unit. The line, with the help of fullback Derek Watt and four capable tight ends, has paved the way for UW to rush for 307.9 yards per game. That is on pace to break the program record of 287.5, set in 1974.</P>
<P></P>
<P>The wide receivers, under the tutelage of Chris Beatty, have become tenacious downfield blockers.</P>
<P></P>
<P>That has resulted in 35 runs of 20 yards or longer. UW leads the nation or is tied for the No.1 mark in runs of 20 plus yards (35), 30 plus yards (20), 40 plus yards (13), 50 plus yards (nine) 60 plus yards (seven), 70 plus yards (six) and 80 plus (two).</P>
<P></P>
<P>Tailbacks Melvin Gordon (1,306 yards, 8.4 yard average), James White (1,156 yards, 6.8 yard average) and Corey Clement (515 yards, Devin Street Authentic Jersey 7.8 yard average) have at times taken advantage of the blocking and other times made yards on their own.</P>
<P></P>
<P>UW leads the nation in yards per carry (7.01), which is the second highest mark among any FBS team since the 2009 Nevada team (7.39 yard average), which featured quarterback Colin Kaepernick.</P>
<P></P>
<P>"I like it personally better this year," tight end Jacob Pedersen said, referring to the schemes of Ludwig, who replaced Matt Canada after last season. "I think I am in better position for my blocks. And I think guys are executing a lot better."</P>
<P></P>
<P>Quarterback Joel Stave has baffled fans with a handful of errant throws each game. However, he has managed the offense, executed run checks, completed 63.1% of his passes for 194.8 yards per game and has twice as many touchdown passes (16) as interceptions (eight).</P>

Page 1 of 1 Go to page: 1
Subscribe to RSS
Follow us on Twitter

Copyright © 1996-2010 Raphael Benedet - Contact Us