Login - Become a member

Low Poly and Character Modelling

Forums home -> 3D Studio MAX -> Low Poly and Character Modelling

Low Poly and Character Modelling 
By Tom on Jan 22, 2002 03:55 AM
I'm planning on buying one of the commercial 3D progs and I dont know which one to pick....
Therefore:
Is Max any good at low poly and character modelling? If so, tell me, and if not, could someone advise me which one is better?

Thanx,
Tom
Re: Low Poly and Character Modelling 
By Koztah3d on Jan 22, 2002 03:29 PM
If you want to get into low-poly, I'd suggest you go with Max - surface tools give you ultimate control over your poly counts. For texturing, Max's UVW Unwrap does wonders and is geared pretty much towards low-poly texturing, especially when coupled with Texporter.
Max is used by a great number of game devs (Microids, Ubi Soft, Blizzard, Neurovolt, Valve, BioWare, et cetera), and for good reason.

Of course, in the end it's a matter of taste, I know a guy who likes low-poly modelling with SoftImage 3.9 (-NOT- XSI)
By christopher on Jan 23, 2002 07:42 AM
i prefer maya...mostly because i know it better.

max is more in demand for pc games...

maya is used alot for console and is gaining ground...

both do almost the same thing...uv/poly editing ect...but maya is more money...unless you want to model/texture only...you can get maya builder, its a striped down version of maya...

but for an extra grand you can get max with more features than builder...
By Tom on Jan 24, 2002 06:05 AM
How about rendering performance (ie: realism, caustics, radiosity,etc...). From what I saw, Lightwave is better....but is it really?
By christopher on Jan 24, 2002 02:06 PM
id stay away from lightwave...although the rendering is very good, you will have to learn another app. to have a better chance at getting a job....i say max...if you want to be insane...maya or soft
By Tom on Jan 25, 2002 06:20 AM
This is a little off topic, but aren't there any females in this community? I mean, there are some thousand members, and I've NEVER seen a post by a girl!!!!!

Is this an only men club or sthng?
(i don't really care, but I was just curious)

Why stay off lightwave? Serious Sam's models were made in it...Or is it cause it's almost exclusively used in the film industry?
By christopher on Jan 25, 2002 09:43 AM
dont get me wrong...light wave is a good tool...its just not all that popular...if you are worried about a job that is.

if you want to just create some cool stuff...LW is ok

Last modification: Christopher - 01/25/02 at 10:43:30
By Tom on Jan 28, 2002 06:49 AM
Yea, I guess max is best. I downloaded the product data sheet, and boy, those Dev tools and functions just kick the lover's ass!!

But how much is max 4? Someone told me it was $3500, but that was the only source i have and I would want to be sure, so i dont order the prog and then find out it exceeds my budget for the next 10 years!!!
By Koztah3d on Jan 28, 2002 01:11 PM
It's around 3500, yes - call up Discreet, if you just want it to learn on, then you might as well buy an educational license, which is cheaper, and unless you're planning on freelancing, you won't have to worry about licenses, your employer will be providing the machines and software at the workplace. If you freelance, though, you'll need a full commerical license.
By penisenlargement on Sep 26, 2010 04:48 AM
What a great idea!! i'ld like to know more how many people you met on 1st sept, i'm quite late to see this blog.
Mr. president doing great with HEALTH issues, just few day's before FDA release new rules of packed food products to display all the details of energy and this are issued with taking public opinions from allover country.

Very good! penis enlargement pills Nice information this is really interesting - vimax and vigrx plus - Good luck in building the table.

Page 1 of 1 Go to page: 1
Subscribe to RSS
Follow us on Twitter

Copyright © 1996-2010 Raphael Benedet - Contact Us