Login - Become a member

How to add textures? lol help please!

Forums home -> 3D Studio MAX -> How to add textures? lol help please!

How to add textures? lol help please! 
By ThePuppetMaster on Jan 06, 2002 09:00 AM
Okay well i've had 3dsmax4 for a while now and im gettin' into it now, so how the hell do u add textures? well i know how to add them, but how do i add my own? If i go into the material editor, it has the mlt library etc. But those textures r .mat files lol. So where do i add my own textures. And oh yea, and u know when u add the textporter to a box, what should the pic look like> a solid rectangle? lol. Okay so lets say i "unrap" my thing in textporter and color it in photoshop..Now how do i add it? (u all prob. thing im just plain dumb, well ur right). Oh and when i add the textures that are akready in there to a big object, they stretch. but what do u do so the texture doubles or whatever? and not becomes big and smudgy....(i knew this before, but forgot) and YES i"ve looked in tuts. and help. WELL HOPEFULLY SOMEONE CAN HELP ME..And THNX;D
Re: How to add textures? lol help please! 
By Paradog on Jan 07, 2002 08:44 AM
Sometimes I really dont get you guys..
You got a program that costs about 2 grands,
you buy it and dont know how to handle it...
Wooow ;)
By ThePuppetMaster on Jan 07, 2002 11:16 AM
Yea and i dont get u. Why reply in a stupid way. I bought this prog, and the way to learn is by tuts/help. And if that doesnt work, ask nice people in forums, obviously u aint. So please don't post stupid, pointless replies. thnk u!
By Yanni_Mac on Jan 08, 2002 09:20 AM
I agree Adrian.  That was a stupid reply by Guo. What a rude little sh1t. The purpose of this forum is to get and give help.  I'll give you some help.  There is a save button in the material editor that will save your own textures to the material library.  If you don't know how to make your own textures,  just click on a ball in the material editor and start messing with the parameters and adding maps, changing diffuse color, specular level, etc.   When you use the texporter on a box it will be a rectangle.  It is just unwraping each face on the box.  If you save the texporter image as an image file you can apply it to you model to see what color each face is and paint it in photoshop accordingly.  To apply the image to the model, just click on the diffuse map button in the map parameters or click the little button next to the diffuse color.  This will open up a dialog that will make you choose the map type.  Choose bitmap.  Then choose your image file and add the texture to the model.  If you want to tile a texture add a UVW map to it. (It is a modifier)  There is a tile parameter in the modifier.  You can also tile maps of textures by clicking the map and changing the tiling in the material editor.  The help section of max covers all of this stuff.  You may have been looking in the wrong place.  Just dig a little deeper.
By ThePuppetMaster on Jan 08, 2002 11:37 AM
Yanni Mac  THNX so much, i actually know now. That helped so much. One more thing though, i made an object (head so far)that looks kinda like (rustboy.com. K well i unraped it using textporter and it looks kinda weird, like some of the lines over-run others (im sure their supposed to be like that). Then i made a nice texture in photoshop, but the problem is i dont know how to texture teh "bottom" of the "robot's head." And i dont know what to texture on the bitmap i unraped. See i want it realistic (tho im dumb and sould be trying easy stuff at first), so i want the bottom rusty and top not as rusty. Thats the only prob i have. Like i mean, how did the guy who made  rustboy make that, like when u unrap u dont know what is the bottom or top (well i dont lol) and when i upraped a sphere (just testing it) is gave me a circle (right) and then i textured it. BUT, well i aplied it, it was the same thing at the bottom as the top and the sides were smered. Well im very sorry to confuse anybody or whatever. But does anybody know? Again thnx Yanni Mac, u helped me a lot. All i need is this and im set. lol.;D
By ThePuppetMaster on Jan 08, 2002 01:52 PM
[color=LimeGreen:f235790107]NEVERMIND, just got a 5 hour video on how to model, texture and animate. BUt thnx anyway![/color:f235790107];D
By Paradog on Jan 09, 2002 04:59 AM
OK OK. Maybe it was not the best way to
help other people.. I'm sorry Adrian , OK?
I'm a rookie myself..

Guo
By Yanni_Mac on Jan 09, 2002 08:08 AM
I think this will fix your problem of the lines overlapping in the unwrap.  Add the UVW map modifier to the object.  It is probably set to PLANE as a default.  Select SHRINK WRAP instead. Then try to use the texporter.  None of the lines should overlap.  If you use the PLANE setting it will not give you all of the faces and therefore leads to tiling when applied.  Also, if you are unwrapping a sphere - set it to sphere in the UVW modifier.  Shring wrap is good for unwrapping objects that are not primitives, such as a human face.  Also make sure to set your resolution in the texporter to a high enough level.  It should have a default of 800 * 400 if it is the same as mine.  Sometimes all of the faces will not show up if you use this setting.  Try setting it at 800*800 or higher depending on how mnuch detail you want to paint in photoshop.  If this makes no sense, tell me and I will try to explain it better.  
By penisenlargement on Sep 26, 2010 04:48 AM
What a great idea!! i'ld like to know more how many people you met on 1st sept, i'm quite late to see this blog.
Mr. president doing great with HEALTH issues, just few day's before FDA release new rules of packed food products to display all the details of energy and this are issued with taking public opinions from allover country.

Very good! penis enlargement pills Nice information this is really interesting - vimax and vigrx plus - Good luck in building the table.

Page 1 of 1 Go to page: 1
Subscribe to RSS
Follow us on Twitter

Copyright © 1996-2010 Raphael Benedet - Contact Us