Login - Become a member

Rangers head coach John Tortorella said about

Forums home -> Ideas/Suggestions/Comments -> Rangers head coach John Tortorella said about

Rangers head coach John Tortorella said about 
By krstking2 on Jun 26, 2014 07:37 AM
LOS ANGELES -- Tyler Chatwood couldnt miss through the first three innings. wholesale jerseys . Even after the rookie pitcher gave up a bases-loaded walk, he remained unruffled. Chatwood tossed seven innings of one-hit ball, fellow rookie Mark Trumbo homered and Vernon Wells added a three-run shot as the Los Angeles Angels defeated the rival Dodgers 6-1 Saturday for their second straight win in the Freeway Series. "He was impressive, not only with his velocity and movement but with his poise," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said of Chatwood. "Even though he walked in a run, he was still focused in making pitches." Chatwood (5-4) retired the first 10 Dodgers he faced before Jamey Carroll singled up the middle in the fourth. Andre Ethier then grounded into an inning-ending double play. "Everything was right on time, the mechanics were good," Chatwood said. "Its always awesome when youre throwing strikes." Scioscia added, "The first three innings, Tyler Chatwood looked as good as any pitcher in our league." The right-hander allowed one run and four hits, struck out five and walked three while improving to 3-0 in his first three career interleague starts. Chatwood allowed a run for the first time in his last three road starts. "He was utilizing his fastball and going after hitters and attacking," Angels catcher Hank Conger said. "One of the biggest differences I noticed is you can tell the composure is there. He wasnt rushing anything." The Angels are 10-3 in their last 13 games at Dodger Stadium, and improved the AL Wests only winning road record to 24-19. They extended their lead to 6-1 in the eighth, scoring four runs with two outs. Wells three-run homer came off Hong-Chih Kuo and Bobby Abreu added an RBI single. Wells has seven homers and 17 RBI in his last 24 games after struggling upon joining the Angels from Toronto in an off-season deal. "It was a rough first month," he said. "You come over and try to do too much and sometimes that makes things worse, especially in the batters box." The Dodgers lost their third straight and eighth in their last 11 to fall a season-worst 10 games below .500 for the second time. "It does feel like its getting away from us," first-year manager Don Mattingly said. "It really just makes the road longer. Were going to have to play really well for a long stretch of time." Hiroki Kuroda (5-9) gave up two runs and three hits in five innings, equalling his shortest outing of the season. The right-hander struck out two and walked one in extending his career-long losing skid to six games. He hasnt won since May 17 at Milwaukee. Kuroda had a 1.82 earned-run average in his first four June starts, but once again, the Dodgers failed to provide decent run support. "Its unfortunate that these type of games are continuing when I pitch, but I have to regroup and hope for the best in the next game," he said through a translator. "I dont think anyone has given up yet. But at the same time, this is my fourth year with this organization and weve never experienced this type of situation in these four years. So I dont know how to take this situation." Dodgers slugger Matt Kemp was ejected in the fifth inning for arguing a called third strike after he returned to the dugout. "It was a little frustrating, but in that situation I let my team down," he said. "I cant do that. Ive got to be in the game fighting with my team." Leadoff hitter Dee Gordon dropped to 0-for-9 in the series, while Carroll had one hit in replacing struggling Juan Uribe as the No. 2 hitter in the lineup. The Angels led 1-0 when Erick Aybar, whose two-run homer lifted them to an 8-3 win Friday night, tripled with two outs in the third, scoring Chatwood, who singled. The Angels made it 2-0 in the fourth on Trumbos 13th homer, which leads all AL rookies. His two-out shot landed in the Dodgers bullpen in left field, the same place Wells homer landed. The Dodgers lone run came after Kemps ejection. James Loney and Aaron Miles singled and Trent Oeltjen walked to load the bases before Chatwood walked A.J. Ellis to force in the run. Pinch-hitter Casey Blake lined into a double play to second baseman Howie Kendrick to end the inning. "I cant dwell on it or its just going to snowball on you," Chatwood said. "Howie made a great play on the next hitter and got me out of the inning." NOTES: Steve Soboroff resigned Saturday, two months after being hired by embattled Dodgers owner Frank McCourt to improve the fan experience at the stadium. He cited MLBs oversight of the team as the reason. ... Angels RF Torii Hunter missed his second straight game because of sore ribs after colliding with the wall in Florida on Wednesday. ... Dodgers OF Marcus Thames had a MRI on Saturday that confirmed his strained left calf, which he hurt legging out a double in the second inning on Friday night. He is day to day. ... Uribe, hitting .180 since coming off the DL on June 6, got the day off. wholesale nfl jerseys . - Kevin Labanc broke a 1-1 tie with his ninth goal of the season in the second period, and the Barrie Colts edged the Owen Sound Attack 3-1 in Ontario Hockey League action on Monday. cheap jerseys . -- Jacksonville Jaguars coach Gus Bradley has left the team following his fathers death.(Sports Network) - Rene Bourque, acquired by the Montreal Canadiens from the Calgary Flames on Thursday night, will make his debut against the New York Rangers this evening. Viewers in the Canadiens region can watch the game on TSN Canadiens at 7pm et/7:30pm at. Also available on TSN Radio 990 in Montreal and TSN.ca/Montreal. Bourque, who was picked up in a trade for Michael Cammalleri on Thursday, had to finish serving a five-game suspension for elbowing Washingtons Nicklas Backstrom on Jan. 3 while with the Flames. In 38 games with Calgary this year, the 30-year-old Bourque had 13 goals and three assists. "I still havent had the chance to look around at all the plaques on the walls and the Stanley Cup banners, but its exciting," Bourque said after his first skate with his new teammates. "I always wanted to play here. Im hoping Ill be here for the rest of my contract. Find a home and make this a place Ill be for a long time." Carey Price made 23 saves last night for the Canadiens, against the Ottawa Senators, but still suffered a 3-2 loss after giving up the only goal of the shootout. Max Pacioretty forced extra time on a goal with 38.9 seconds left and Tomas Plekanec also netted a goal as the Habs have lost three in a row and 10 of their past 13. That includes a 3-8-1 mark under interim head coach Randy Cunneyworth. "We missed two points tonight," Plekanec said "Its disappointing because overall we did better. After our first goal we stopped playing a bit and they pushedd us back. cheap nfl jerseys. We have a tough time in shootouts, we just have to find a way somehow." The Rangers seek a seventh victory in eight games this evening, but to do so theyll need to halt a five-game road slide at the Bell Centre. New York had a five-game win streak halted in a shutout loss to the Senators on Thursday, but bounced back last night with a solid effort from backup goaltender Martin Biron to knock off the Maple Leafs 3-0. With starter Henrik Lundqvist looking on from the bench, Biron made 20 saves for his second shutout of the season and 28th of his career. The reserve is 9-2-0 with a 1.88 goals-against average and .927 save percentage in 12 games this season. "I cant even call him a backup. Hes played really well," Rangers head coach John Tortorella said about Biron. "Hes just a perfect fit for where we are as a team. Hes a great teammate." Mike Rupp, Brian Boyle and Derek Stepan lit the lamp for New York, which won for the 11th time in 13 games despite Brandon Dubinsky sitting out with a sore shoulder. New York now has 60 points on the season, one more than Vancouver for the most in the NHL. The Canucks are also in action Sunday night. The Rangers have won four straight on the road, upping their season mark as the guest to 15-6-2. However, they havent won in Montreal since March 17, 2009 and have been shutout in three of their last five trips there. That includes a 4-0 defeat on Nov. 19, the Habs sixth victory in eight games versus the Rangers overall. ' ' '

Page 1 of 1 Go to page: 1
Subscribe to RSS
Follow us on Twitter

Copyright © 1996-2010 Raphael Benedet - Contact Us