Login - Become a member

Box Modelling Wierdness in 3.1

Forums home -> 3D Studio MAX -> Box Modelling Wierdness in 3.1

Box Modelling Wierdness in 3.1 
By Phyl on Jun 12, 2001 03:13 AM
I was recently following a tutorial for box modelling a head, and came across something wierd.
Basically the first stage is to create a box with a number of segments (Say 8X6X4, but I can't remember exactly). You then move around the vertex to resize the segments to the size you need (Keeping the box the same size).

If you then extrude a polygon that you have resized, it doesn't extrude properly. Some of the vertex jump back to their original position in the X/Y plane, and you end up with a wierd blob rather than an extruded block.

I originally thought this was a problem with my install of max, so I tried re-installing, but it still did the same. I then tried doing the same thing on a couple of computers at college, and they also did the same. My tutor was no help, and said he didn't even know this happened.

Does anyone know why this happens, or if there is any way around it? Does max 4 also do this? as I'll be upgrading soon.

Re: Box Modelling Wierdness in 3.1 
By Koztah3d on Jul 16, 2001 08:12 PM
Use surface tools instead ;D
By XnorB on Nov 09, 2001 01:13 AM
I've got exactly the same Problem ...

I start to think that MAX R3 does VERY STRANGE things ...

Bye, XnorB
By skogskalle on Nov 10, 2001 04:58 AM
Ive got the same problem too....
but i use 3DSMAX 4....and I have no idea why this happens...

extruding faces works perfectly most of the times, but sometimes (as you said) the vertexes (how do you spell the damn word?) jump back (or jump to some other location) and you have to manually move them to the right places...

often its not a very big problem (if you dont have a really detailed mesh, it doesnt take very long to reposition the dots...)

but it can be very frustrating...

By digitraf on Nov 14, 2001 12:42 AM
I can live with it.

I'm also using max 4.

By XnorB on Nov 15, 2001 01:42 AM
Erik, well, yes ...
But MAX isn't the cheapest Software
and such things should not happen.

At least MAX isn't by Microsoft ...

Bye, XnorB
By hybrid_2001 on Dec 14, 2001 11:24 AM
I think you should not move the vertices on the faces that you wish to extrude. It will cause errors with the extrusion. Even you moved the vertices co-planar to the face, it will also happen. To avoid this,be careful about which vertices you are moving,then put a slice modifier behind the faces to be extruded. Then select the faces to be extruded and select the make planar option.

Hope this helps.
;D
By penisenlargement on Sep 26, 2010 04:51 AM
What a great idea!! i'ld like to know more how many people you met on 1st sept, i'm quite late to see this blog.
Mr. president doing great with HEALTH issues, just few day's before FDA release new rules of packed food products to display all the details of energy and this are issued with taking public opinions from allover country.

Very good! penis enlargement pills Nice information this is really interesting - vimax and vigrx plus - Good luck in building the table.

Page 1 of 1 Go to page: 1
Subscribe to RSS
Follow us on Twitter

Copyright © 1996-2010 Raphael Benedet - Contact Us