Login - Become a member

and I just saw the movie

Forums home -> Post 3D Art -> and I just saw the movie

and I just saw the movie  
By zaiyin on Jun 11, 2014 04:45 AM
<P>and I just saw the movie The Way, about the 800kilometer Camino de Santiago walking pilgrimage across the north of Spain. And we've been reading Thomas Hardy novels that feature lots and lots of walking around 19th century England.</P>
<P></P>
<P>Basically, Europe seems to have these great walking traditionsfor religion, for sightseeing, or just to get from point A to point B. has great wilderness backpacking culture and opportunities, and we've both done our share of that. But we started to wonder about the feasibility of a long walk here that we could do in a more European mode, without big packs, that would take us through countryside and through towns, getting us to a place to stay each night.</P>
<P></P>
<P>I recommend the part through the Great Smoky Mountains. Cute rural areas, gorgeous scenery and friendly people. Little motels and restaurants in Cherokee and Gatlinburg, etc.</P>
<P></P>
<P>I'm sure it's like that at other areas too.</P>
<P></P>
<P>posted by Ruthless Bunny at 3:11 PM on July 31, 2012 [1 favorite]</P>
<P></P>
<P>You might be interested in this book about inntoinn hiking in northern california.</P>
<P></P>
<P>I have some friends also who hiked from the sonomamendocino county line to my apartment in San Francisco, basically just following the coast. They slept in tents a lot, but a good amount of that was voluntary.</P>
<P></P>
<P>posted by juliapangolin cheap nfl jerseys at 3:18 PM on July 31, 2012 [3 favorites]</P>
<P></P>
<P>There are parts of the Appalachian Trail where this is feasible, and parts where it is not.</P>
<P></P>
<P>posted by dfriedman at 3:18 PM on July 31, 2012</P>
<P></P>
<P>There's a route along Lake Superior in Minnesota that has inns about a day's hike apart; I can't find it quickly, though.</P>
<P></P>
<P>posted by a robot made out of meat at 3:25 PM on July 31, 2012</P>
<P></P>
<P>The robot made of meat is thinking of the superior hiking trail. There is Wholesale NFL Jerseys some lodge to lodge hiking.</P>
<P></P>
<P>posted by Area Man at 3:29 PM on July 31, 2012</P>
<P></P>
<P>The Appalachian Trail requires camping pretty much everywhere. GSMNP and some of the New England sections have shelters, but you would still need camping gear to stay in them. You can detour into towns, but doing so almost always involves leaving the trail by a substantial distance (Gatlinburg and Cherokee are each about 10 miles from the trail) with a few obvious exceptions like Hot Springs, NC and Harper's Ferry, WV where you walk through the middle of town.</P>
<P></P>
<P>The North Carolina Mountains to Sea Trail might be closer to what you're talking about, but still requires a tent at times.</P>
<P></P>
<P>posted by hydropsyche at 3:35 PM on July 31, 2012</P>
<P></P>
<P>I've always dreamed of hiking the Appalachian Trail, but staying in lodges or B at night instead of camping. I've searched quite a bit but haven't been able to find anything definitive. The Katy Trail is the closest I can come, but it was created for bicycles. I'm sure you can walk it, also.</P>
<P></P>
<P>posted by raisingsand at wholesale jerseys 3:37 PM on July 31, 2012</P>
<P></P>
<P>Um, Katy Trail is in Missouri, NOT Appalachia!</P>
<P></P>
<P>posted by raisingsand at 3:38 PM on July 31, 2012</P>
<P></P>
<P>a robot made out of meat is probably talking about the Cheap Soccer Jerseys Superior Hiking Trail, if you are really well planned you likely can get from town to town in most days, but be warned, some of that trail is fairly difficult and I personally would not recommend it as analogous to a decent days hike capped by a stay at a quaint town. I say that as someone ho loves the SHT.</P>
<P></P>
<P>You could, with proper planning, arranged to be picked up at prearranged spots, and transported to somewhere to stay</P>

Page 1 of 1 Go to page: 1
Subscribe to RSS
Follow us on Twitter

Copyright © 1996-2010 Raphael Benedet - Contact Us