Login - Become a member

Stainless Steel

Forums home -> 3D Studio MAX -> Stainless Steel

Stainless Steel 
By click on Feb 19, 2001 02:07 AM
[email]I want to make an objct that looks very realistic. The material of the object is smooth stainless steel.
Has somebody tried this before??[/email]???
Re: Stainless Steel 
By micromike777 on May 04, 2001 12:11 PM
If it's very steel that you want, just go into the raytrace material librarys and select the metal that matches what you want. There are lots of differnt metals to chose from. Then adjust it accordingly(e.g. adding a layer of tarnish or something)

Last modification: Michael McMillen - 05/04/01 at 14:11:19
By ZombieCzar on May 04, 2001 12:56 PM
what most people forget when creating shaders is that there is almost some sort of enamel or coating over the surface. In max, useing the um blend or whatever material, u can recreate that effect easily, by making the coat material 0% opacity and adjusting the shineness and shin strength generaly strong and sharp and the materiel use metal or anistropic or oryniar for the unfinished metal.. adusting the mixing settings in the blend material you can generally come to a desent material.
By click on May 08, 2001 04:44 AM
Thanks!
I'll just try to fool around with it.
I really want the effect that was used in the X-men logo.

Comments are welcome!:)
By torque03 on May 30, 2001 07:33 PM
I suggest first getting the "Highlight Only" material plugin from blur.com, then using it in conjunction with Raytrace and Shellac materials to get a great metal shader.

Remember that half of making a good metal material is creating a good environment for it to reflect!  Usually a simple inverted cubic environment with gradient ramps going from black to white is a good beginning.  Then put superwhite "cards" in the scene in places that approximate where the light diffusing screens would be in a real world lighting setup.

Also, using a raytrace material as the base for your metal shader will give you more control than using a Blinn or Anistropic shader.  If you want to get that brushed metal, anistropic look to the metal, use a very stretched, small fractal noise map in the bump and specular level map slots.

Sorry for blabbing, hope some of this helps.

Peace
By penisenlargement on Sep 26, 2010 04:57 AM
What a great idea!! i'ld like to know more how many people you met on 1st sept, i'm quite late to see this blog.
Mr. president doing great with HEALTH issues, just few day's before FDA release new rules of packed food products to display all the details of energy and this are issued with taking public opinions from allover country.

Very good! penis enlargement pills Nice information this is really interesting - vimax and vigrx plus - Good luck in building the table.

Page 1 of 1 Go to page: 1
Subscribe to RSS
Follow us on Twitter

Copyright © 1996-2010 Raphael Benedet - Contact Us