Login - Become a member

DX8 rendering

Forums home -> 3D Studio MAX -> DX8 rendering

DX8 rendering 
By cherub on Apr 28, 2001 09:22 AM
ok...i have dx8 win 2k and max 4...can anyone give me a step by step on how to use this?
i can choose direct 3d...but when i restart max...there is nothing in the viewports.

-chris

Last modification: Christopher - 04/28/01 at 11:22:41
Re: DX8 rendering 
By ZombieCzar on Apr 28, 2001 01:05 PM
what is your video card?
By cherub on Apr 28, 2001 03:03 PM
oh yeah...im using a geforce 2...
By Mike_Bendele on Apr 28, 2001 05:35 PM
Are your drivers up to date?

try hitting "ctrl ~" after the rest of the interface loads. It's possible that the D3D windows are there, but not refreshing.

- Mike
By cherub on Apr 29, 2001 05:54 AM
i reinstalled dx8...it seems to work...but none of the features work...transparency, bump....is this how it is?
By Mike_Bendele on Apr 29, 2001 11:13 AM
Make sure that you are in fact still using the Directx display drivers.

When you assign a shader that has opacity mapping, etc. on it, make sure that you have the "show map in viewport" button pressed for all the maps you want to see (opacity, bump, etc.

...that should work. It's all I can think of at the moment. Try rotating the viewport after you turn on the "show map" button. Sometime's it needs a nudge to refresh.

If none of that works, then you are possibly having hardware problems.

-Mike

Last modification: Mike Bendele - 04/29/01 at 13:13:31
By ZombieCzar on Apr 29, 2001 01:22 PM
for the wyswyg, the show map at the top of the material, not the map, will turn on that cool stuff, it is a resource hog so be prepared if you have a huge model or maps or whatever it will be slow.
By cherub on Apr 30, 2001 03:53 AM
it finally worked thanks to you guys...its kind of a let down though...i wanted to see bump mapping. transparency is no big deal.
By Mike_Bendele on Apr 30, 2001 10:45 AM
The "show map" button at the top material level acts as a global on/off for all the maps. Nice addition.

Transparency is okay, but even better is the ability to see the procedural maps in the viewport now. Turn the "show map" on with a marble or dent, etc. and it shows up in the viewport!

Motion blur in the viewport is another feature that the new directx allows. I haven't used this yet but it's supposedly there.

Glad to hear your problem is resolved.

-Mike

Last modification: Mike Bendele - 04/30/01 at 12:45:24
By penisenlargement on Sep 26, 2010 04:58 AM
What a great idea!! i'ld like to know more how many people you met on 1st sept, i'm quite late to see this blog.
Mr. president doing great with HEALTH issues, just few day's before FDA release new rules of packed food products to display all the details of energy and this are issued with taking public opinions from allover country.

Very good! penis enlargement pills Nice information this is really interesting - vimax and vigrx plus - Good luck in building the table.

Page 1 of 1 Go to page: 1
Subscribe to RSS
Follow us on Twitter

Copyright © 1996-2010 Raphael Benedet - Contact Us