Login - Become a member

How can I Make Text Glow (Give out light)?

Forums home -> 3D Studio MAX -> How can I Make Text Glow (Give out light)?

How can I Make Text Glow (Give out light)? 
By MXN on Mar 28, 2001 08:44 PM
This is probably quite a simple matter, but materials have always eluded me :P. Is there any way to make some extruded text glow, and light what is around it (give out a blurred colour of light) ?
Re: How can I Make Text Glow (Give out light)? 
By meatycheesyboy on Mar 29, 2001 08:30 AM
I use Lightwave but I'll try to help.  In LW, you can control light with an objects luminosity value when you use the GI rendering.  (But I'd probably just use selective lights to speed up the rendering since GI is really slow) Since MAX doesn't have a global illumination renderer I don't think you can do this.  So what I would say is just put an omni light behind your text and do it that way.  I believe Brazil can probaby do what I described in LW and I think it's still in a free beta stage so you could download it and try to light the scene using the object's self illumination setting.  But to be perfectly honest, I'm just taking shots in the dark.  I'm really not all that sure.
By MXN on Mar 29, 2001 08:56 AM
Thanks for the idea. I actually found out - wading through tutorial searches - that you can use a Glow effect through VP (VideoPost). I tried messing around with that...but I'm still really in the dark over the matter. If anyone experienced with MAX could help, I'd be honoured.
By ZombieCzar on Mar 29, 2001 12:33 PM
render the object in a flat veiw port, ie front, or top veiw, and render it against a black background, use that as a projection map in a light source from the same veiw as the render, blur the image and it will illuminate the sourronding geometry, apply glow in video post or the effects dialog..
By MXN on Mar 29, 2001 12:49 PM
woah...quite rough. Using the Videopost has proved annoying and slow...I ended up with no glow for this animation..but in the future when I have more time I'll look deeper into it.
By Mohammad on Apr 02, 2001 12:31 AM
Don't worry!!!
You can with glow video post and apply the premier
effect in glow dialog.
By under_score on Apr 02, 2001 11:39 AM
Go to www.3dcafe.com and look through their free plugins.  You will find one called light mesh.  I haven't used it, but I believe it works by attaching lights to all the vertices on your object.  Either way, it should work for what you want to do.  Applying a simple glow to the text along with the plug-in should enhance the effect.
By MXN on Apr 02, 2001 09:11 PM
Thanks a lot for the help. I think that plugin is for Max 3...I wonder if it will be upwardly compatible. I'll give it a go anyway. Thanks.
By xyzik on Apr 10, 2001 02:15 PM
how about the lazy way..use an illumination color (max3);)
By penisenlargement on Sep 26, 2010 05:00 AM
What a great idea!! i'ld like to know more how many people you met on 1st sept, i'm quite late to see this blog.
Mr. president doing great with HEALTH issues, just few day's before FDA release new rules of packed food products to display all the details of energy and this are issued with taking public opinions from allover country.

Very good! penis enlargement pills Nice information this is really interesting - vimax and vigrx plus - Good luck in building the table.
By rpadc2002 on Dec 08, 2010 06:09 AM
you can use the following:

1. glow effect on video post process..
2. or use advance material overide.
3. if you are using vray, vraylightmatl will do the job.

Page 1 of 1 Go to page: 1
Subscribe to RSS
Follow us on Twitter

Copyright © 1996-2010 Raphael Benedet - Contact Us