Login - Become a member

Packers quarterback considers his legacy

Forums home -> Job Offers -> Packers quarterback considers his legacy

By earjerseyqq145 on Apr 02, 2014 07:29 AM

Lounged in a leather chair at 1265 Lombardi Ave., the Green Bay Packers quarterback takes his hat off and sips grape Gatorade. He has every reason to smile. He has the Super Bowl ring and league MVP award oakleys outlet and this offseason Rodgers became the richest player in NFL history with a fiveyear, $110 million contract extension.

Hall of Famers have spent entire careers chasing what Rodgers has achieved in five years as a starting quarterback.

Q. How did the offseason go for you? Did you do anything different this year?

A. I was in San Diego for the most part. I did a little traveling and a lot of mental and physical relaxation for the first month and then got back into my training regimen. The usual. Played a lot of golf, went to the Kentucky Derby and just ready to get back at it.

Q. So people want to know: What does a guy with a $35 million signing bonus do?

A. Nothing. Nothing different.

Q. Nothing? No plans with the new contract?

A. I wanted a truck when I got drafted and I wanted to take care of my family. I did those things and I'm just going to be smart with my money.

Q. Do the friends and family cheap oakleys members come out of the woodwork?

A. Not really. My family's really good about that. This isn't my first contract, so I've already dealt with a lot of that stuff with people. And I think in general, when you have success it can redefine relationships. Part of that is sad, but other parts of it are exciting when you get to meet some different types of people and people you can relate to who have had similar experiences. That's the enjoyable part of that. But my family both immediate and extended has been great. They're very supportive. It's been nice to be able to do some things for them and give back to my folks who gave so much to us boys.

Q. In what ways do expectations and/or pressure on you heighten with this deal?

A. Not personally. I don't put extra pressure on myself. There might be external expectations that www.pkark.com rise, and that's OK because I put a lot of pressure on myself to be successful. I just think it gives my position as a leader on this team and the face of the franchise some final legitimacy, if I needed it at all. I take that role very seriously. It's being a role model. It's being a good teammate. It's being a good representation on the franchise.

For me, the new contract was just a reminder that this is going to be my home for my career. I don't have any oakley sunglasses outlet desire to play anywhere else. If I play well, there's a good chance that this is a deal that won't have to be redone at all. When you look at some of the other deals that guys signed, there are some very large cap numbers late in those deals. Fiveyear deals turn out to really be threeyear deals because of the cap numbers. We felt like our deal gives the Packers a chance to still be able to field a very solid team and we won't have to rip up this deal and try to do a new one in three to five years.

Q. You've always had the chip on the shoulder and have searched for more respect. But don't fake oakleys you have that from everyone now?

A. I don't think so. No, there's still, there's fake oakley sunglasses outlet going to be critics out there all the time. And now, it's probably going to be related contractwise because of the new deal, and that's fine. A lot of those things I can't control and I learned as a young player to not try to worry about those things you can't control and to focus on the things cheap fake oakleys you can and that's your preparation, your mental focus, your mental toughness and the way you're playing on the field. So that's what I focus on. The other stuff is stuff that's there that you learn to deal with. Some of it's comical. Some of it's silly at times. And the rest is stuff you can't worry about.

Q. Is there any vindication to you that the deal was struck on draft day?

A. Well, I think irony is the better word. Vindication, I'm not looking for vindication. I'm looking to be the best player that I can be. Every time the draft comes on, they show my mug on there and talk about the wait that I had and guys who have had similar waits over the years as well.

Q. Do you get sick of seeing that or do you enjoy it?

A. No, it's a good reminder of the feelings I had that day and the swing of emotions that happened until I was picked and not knowing what I know now. You watch a lot of movies where single events can change the course of history or you can go back in time. I think if you look at myself as a 21yearold, at the time you don't realize there's good things to come. You're just like, "Get me out of this green room. I need to be somewhere." If I could oakley sunglasses outlet talk to myself eight years ago, I'd say, "Just relax and focus on the things you can control and realize there is a light at the end of the tunnel and there's good things to come."

Q. You mentioned those points in history. Do you win a Super Bowl, are named MVP and get this contract if that wait does not happen?

A. Well, I'm still confident in my abilities and I felt like I was going to be cheap fake oakley sunglasses successful in this league. But you need a supporting cast and you need an organization that supports you, and I couldn't have asked for a better spot to be in. sporting franchise that doesn't have an owner. That's a plus. The winning tradition we have here, the expectations we have here, the family atmosphere that exists in the Midwest with this organization, it was a perfect fit with my personality and my background. It's been fun to have some success here both individually cheap oakley sunglasses and as a team.

Q. A lot of changes on offense this year. Greg Jennings is gone. The offensive line is reconfigured. What challenges do you and the offense face now?

A. I think the expectations have gotten very high for this offense. We're OK fake oakley sunglasses with that. But sometimes the ability to meet those expectations is even more difficult because those expectations are so high. We have personal expectations that we talk about in our offensive meeting room. I think the best thing that happened for us was that (coach) Mike (McCarthy) made the switch on Day 1 when we were on the field. So those guys knew "This is how it's going to be. Get comfortable at those spots." That's helped.

Losing Greg and Donald (Driver) gives some other guys some opportunities. We have three of the best in the league as a combination with Jordy (Nelson), James (Jones) and Randall (Cobb). I'm really excited about those guys, and then we've got some guys behind them who have a chance to make the team and contribute. I like our offense and I like what we can do in the passing game. And now, I think we can complement it with a more consistent running game with two stud backs we got in the draft and a former used car salesman.

Q. When you look at the numbers, in 2011, 69% of the offense came from you. Last year, it was 71%. Have you had to carry the offense too much?

A. No, I don't think so. I just think it's better when we have balance for everybody. It helps with the passing game. It slows fake oakleys outlet down the rush. It gives us opportunities to have some more oneonones outside. But I have high expectations for myself regardless of the coverage, the opponent, the score and I know my teammates do as well. So I enjoy the opportunity to carry whatever load is put on me and I expect to play well.

Page 1 of 1 Go to page: 1
Subscribe to RSS
Follow us on Twitter

Copyright © 1996-2010 Raphael Benedet - Contact Us