Login - Become a member

but that has an upside and downside

Forums home -> General Discussion -> but that has an upside and downside

but that has an upside and downside 
By dengdai on Mar 22, 2014 03:23 AM
WINNIPEG -- The Winnipeg Jets will be shuffling the deck again as they look to find a combination of forwards who can put the puck in the net and help keep it out of their own as well. Coach Claude Noel hasnt been shy about moving players around, even shifting them from their usual spots at centre or wing, as he looks for matchups that work. The Jets (4-5-1) are in Ottawa to play the Senators (6-3-2) Saturday. A third-period collapse that let the Toronto Maple Leafs leave Winnipeg with a 3-2 win was the latest headshaker for Noel, as he grasps for something to kick his offence into gear. "To say Im disappointed would be an understatement," a visibly disgusted Noel said after the loss. "Ive got the one line thats minus all over the place and so youve got to make changes. You just cant sit back and watch this, youve got to (start) juggling this thing around." Its still relatively early but, with the loss, the Jets slipped below .500 and out of playoff contention for now in their sophomore season. After a promising start, theyve lost four out of the last five, consistently lose the faceoff battle and their power-play performance has flipped from above average to anaemic. It probably says something that one of the few players Noel had praise for after the game was 24-year-old defenceman Zach Redmond, brought up from the AHL to fill holes caused by injuries. Redmond scored his first goal and third point in the last two games and spent more than 24 minutes on the ice, a measure perhaps of the confidence he has won in just four games. "Hes just getting better, hes getting stronger all the time, one of our better players for a young player," says the coach. The Jets defence overall has been strong offensively, with Tobias Enstrom the leading scorer at 13 points. Hes riding a career-best, eight-game point streak as the top-scoring defenceman in the NHL. Dustin Byfuglien, who hasnt even played the last four games, is still fifth on the Jets scoring list with seven points. So far, however, whatever combo Noel has tried with his forwards has failed to produce consistent results. Overall, the picture isnt pretty. He doesnt like to talk No. 1 or No. 2 lines -- he says hell leave it to others to make that call -- but this season it would be pretty hard for anyone to pick one over the other. Evander Kane, Olli Jokinen and Blake Wheeler should be the jets top line and they do have an edge in points -- 21 compared with 18 for the latest Andrew Ladd, Alexander Burmistrov and Bryan Little combo. But collectively, Wheeler, Kane and Jokinen are a -20, compared with a plus five for Ladd, Burmistrov and Little. "You ask me about the personnel of the top six guys? Youve got to change things around, youve got to make some moves," says Noel. Their third and fourth lines have produced only eight points and Nik Antropov has three of those. Chris Thorburn and James Wright are at -1 and Alexei Ponikarovsky sits at -2. In goals against, Winnipeg ranks 28th, having allowed 36. They do better in goals for, with 29 putting them in 11th spot, but their penalty kill is the worst in the NHL. Theyve taken just 33 penalties and let in a dozen goals. Their power play has slipped to 12th, with nine goals in 42 chances, and is going the wrong way. They got one shot away in four tries Thursday night as they went 0-4. The addition of Jokinen and Ponikarovsky brought more size and experience to the Jets offence, but it hasnt produced the kind of consistent scoring ability they need. It hasnt even helped in the kind of team-wide approach to discipline and defence Noel has been preaching. Jokinen has only four points and is a -6, second only to Wheelers -9. Ponikarovsky has one point and took a holding penalty late in the third Thursday that set up Phil Kessels first goal of the season and the game winner. "The problem that I have is that we have of finding a way to lose games. And some of the problems that we get are created by ourselves and thats the disturbing part," says Noel. After the Senators, the Jets return home to play the Philadelphia Flyers, Pittsburgh Penguins and Boston Bruins, with Pittsburgh and Boston duelling for the Eastern Conference lead. http://www.nikefreerun3portugal.eu/Nike-free-run+-3-kj-94.html . Haydars power-play goal 57 seconds into the third period was the last of three unanswered goals by the Wolves (14-11-4), who also got goals from Andrew Ebbett and Jordan Schroeder. http://www.nikefreerun3portugal.eu/ . - The Oakland Raiders signed special teams standout Taiwan Jones to a three-year extension on Monday that keeps him under contract through 2017.Its been a long wait for Mackenzie Hughes but in just a couple of weeks, hell finally kick off his 2014 season on the Web.Com Tour. The former Canadian Amateur champion, who made his rookie year as a professional a memorable one, has had a long wait to get back on the course and after last season, hes anxious to play. "Its funny that my season really ended in September," he said, noting the end of the PGA Tour Canada schedule. "That was so long ago and Ive had so much time to think about it." Whats probably crossed his mind from time to time has been his great campaign of 2013, where he went from having no status and minimal financial backing to winning the Order of Merit on PGA Tour Canada, which gave him an exemption onto the Web.Com Tour. It was certainly a whirlwind season but one the product of Dundas, Ont., never doubted he could make. After playing for Canada at the World Team Amateur Championship, Hughes turned pro, moved to Charlotte, N.C., and ventured out into the world of mini-tours. "I dont like mini-tours so much," he chuckled. "Youre not playing for a lot of money and its definitely not glamourous." However, thats about all Hughes had at that point. And he did learn a thing or two about life as a professional, which was a definite change from his amateur and college days. "You have to learn on your own pretty quickly," he said. "Youre really on your own." One thing that didnt change, however, was his talent. It didnt take him long to parlay a couple of PGA Tour Canada starts into a regular gig. And, in June, after going through the qualifying and winning a playoff, he made it into the U.S. Open. Although he didnt make the cut at Merion, it was an eye-opening experience. "It showed me that Im not that far off, that I can play at that level," he stated. "And it helped me when I got back to PGA Tour Canada." After missing the cut in his first three stops, Hughes rolled off four top--10 finishes in his next five events.dddddddddddd. That included a runner-up finish at the Wildfire Invitational and a victory at the Cape Breton Celtic Classic. His success on the course also helped him off it. When he first turned pro, Hughes attempted to find sponsors, even coming up with a plan to sell shares of himself. That didnt work out and in the early going, things were tight. This year, hes signed on with SportBox Entertainment Group, the new Canadian agency thats headed up by former IMGer Danny Fritz and includes as clients Mike Weir, Graham DeLaet and David Hearn. Hes found some stability with sponsorships from Ping and Freedom 55 Financial, but says hes a long way from being on easy street. "Its better for sure, but at the same time, Im going to spend a lot more money this year," Hughes pointed out. "Ill be paying for caddies, more travel, more of everything really. It adds up pretty quick. But if I play well, its not an issue." In addition to learning how to balance his chequebook, Hughes is learning the ropes of another new tour, this one a step up on the competitive scale. The long layoff has made it possible for him to glean lots of information about playing the Web.com Tour, but that has an upside and downside. "Ive talked to a million different people about it," Hughes said. "Ive maybe got too much advice. Im really just trying to figure out whats best for me." He has sought out help from those whove gone before him and hes hoping to play practice rounds with fellow Canadians Roger Sloan and Adam Hadwin to not only learn about courses, but also life on tour. He will also likely join up with another Canadian rookie, Albin Choi to share expenses and experiences. "Im more excited than nervous," Hughes admitted. "I want to test my game against the next level and see where I am." Hughes will get that opportunity when the Tour gets underway Feb. 13 in Bogota, Colombia. ' ' '

Page 1 of 1 Go to page: 1
Subscribe to RSS
Follow us on Twitter

Copyright © 1996-2010 Raphael Benedet - Contact Us