Login - Become a member

I saw this at the theater with friends

Forums home -> General Discussion -> I saw this at the theater with friends

I saw this at the theater with friends 
By jjjjjf4fdgg on Mar 19, 2014 01:18 AM
Over 50 years ago Japanese cartoonist Osamu Tezuka gave birth to a phenomenon when he first published the manga adventures of Tetsuwan Atomuin 1951. and other English speaking markets as Astro Boy.

Now the Hong Kong/American studio Imagi re introduces the character as the star of the new animated feature Astro Boy.

The film opens on Metro City a far future milieu that floats in the sky, high above the polluted Earth. Metro City is served by a legion of robots who do man's bidding until they break down, at which point they're discarded like garbage and dumped on the planet below.

Toby (Freddie Highmore) is a super smart school boy whose father, Dr. Tenma (Nicolas Cage) is the head of Ministry of Science. Toby crashes the military demo of the new "Peace Keeper" robot and is accidentally killed right before Tenma's eyes. Stricken with grief, Tenma builds a robotic replica of his son and invests it with Toby's memories and every bit of defensive capability known to his military masters. No harm will ever hockeyblackhawksshop.com/marian_hossa_jersey.html befall him.

Unfortunately, Astro Boy is not a perfect replica and, just as he discovers he's not a real boy, Dr. Tenma comes to regret his actions and wants to dismantle him. Astro flees and, like Pinnochio (who's story was in inspiration for Tezuka's original), he goes on his quest to discover what a real boy is made of.

The ensuing journey is the kind of animated fare that kids will likely love even as their parents impatiently check their watches.

The animation and visual designs are terrific. Throughout the adventure Astro is a very appealing character. If you love cool robots that come in all shapes, sizes and configurations, you'll find plenty to enjoy here.

There's a great sense of fun as Astro discovers his ability to fly (jet boots!) and soars though the city, then high above the clouds and then tunnels through a mountain at super speed before Marian Hossa Authentic Jersey erupting through the volcano top. Later Astro finds himself in the clutches of a Stromboli esque figure called Ham Eggs and eventually has to square off against a myriad of awesome robot fighters.

The final showdown between Astro and his nemesis provides some particularly great eye candy.

There's a fair amount of humor to keep the kids laughing and even provide a giggle or two for adults.

Where the movie is lacking is in the emotional components that make most recent animated blockbusters really work. Particularly troubling is Toby's death scene. Obviously there's a need to avoid rendering the violence in a graphic manner, but Dr. Cheap Patrick Kane Jersey Tenma's reaction to it is so understated as to be undetectable. It calls to mind (and suffers by comparison to) the early scenes of Finding Nemo, where Marlon is helpless to stop the attack on his family and is left cradling the last egg that protects his unborn son.

You definitely will not find a lump in your throat watching Tenma's reaction.

There are attempts to help older viewers have fun. Film buffs will find references to things like Lang's Metropolis, Browning's Freaks and even Tarantino's Pulp Fiction.

Perhaps most targeted to the adults is the movie's extremely clumsy political commentary. See, the good energy that fuels Astro Boy is Blue. It's positive and leads to positive change. Bad or negative energy is Red. It is aggressive and warlike.

The President Stone character (Donald Sutherland) favors red. He even builds up a bogus war scenario in hopes that the populous of Metro City will see him as strong on defense and re elect him president. He exists in a red state for sure.

Blue good. Red bad. My son is dead, I guess I'll build a robot.

Eager to run the bases of its plot, Astro Boy serves everything up in too simplistic a manner. It lacks the sophistication of the better animated movies of the recent past. It moves too quickly from the interesting themes contained within its premise and robs itself of the emotional hooks that would elevate it to the level of a great story.

At the end of the day, Astro Boy is still a serviceable kids adventure movie. The action and visuals will have the kids soaring with the boy robot, but the lack of substance will leave the parents as disappointed as Dr. Tenma.

Perhaps most targeted to the adults is the movie's http://www.hockeyblackhawksshop.com/marian_hossa_jersey.html extremely clumsy political commentary. See, the good energy that fuels Astro Boy is Blue. It's positive and leads to positive change. Bad or negative energy is Red. It is aggressive and warlike.

Uh, this is basic color association theory; it is a precept of psychology. Many, many studies have demonstrated that blue colors make people more docile, while red makes them more aggressive.

The fact that you somehow think this is political commentary says more about you than it does the movie.

Sometimes a cigar IS just a cigar, and unless/until I see the movie, can't comment on ASTRO BOY in particular, but. I find it understandable that Rob would think the association was polticially tinged. After all, the movie IS coming out in 2009, and in 2009, "Red state/Blue state" does have http://www.hockeyblackhawksshop.com/patrick_kane_jersey.html certain connotations. AND, at least IMHO, it is pretty much the case that when a movie contains a political message these days, you can guess which side of the political spectrum is going to be treated sympathetically.

Just saying I don't think offhand dismissal of Rob's suggestion is entirely fair. There are hints of it but it was definitely toned down for American audiences.

It's a rental for sure but i wouldn't mind seeing again. Visually cool looking hockeyblackhawksshop.com/patrick_kane_jersey.html and the artist in me digs that.

I saw this at the theater with friends. I'm 18 and I thought it was awesome. We all did. What is it with movie critics? They drool over that MORONIC Mr. Fox movie and diss this? This was kickass. The animation was beautiful and the central character made you root for him, great voice work, funny and sad and just great. Fight scenes rocked. NOT FOR KIDS ONLY. Not even close. NOT JUST A RENTAL either. Glad I saw it at the theater, the audience was into it and that's part of the fun of going to the movies imo. Astro Boy five stars.

Page 1 of 1 Go to page: 1
Subscribe to RSS
Follow us on Twitter

Copyright © 1996-2010 Raphael Benedet - Contact Us