Login - Become a member

Looking for the best orthopedic

Forums home -> Post 3D Art -> Looking for the best orthopedic

post reply

Looking for the best orthopedic 
By fairjersey on Mar 12, 2014 08:04 AM
Looking for the best orthopedic surgeon in the country

Two years ago, my 15 year old brother had a surgical procedure to correct a tarsal coalition. The surgery was unsuccessful and he had another surgery last year in an attempt to correct the first procedure by removing a large screw that was placed in his foot. Too much bone was removed from his foot during the first operation and now the bone needs to be replaced (from what I understand.) He is still in pain and has difficulty standing and walking, and our orthopedic surgeon here in Florida is recommending that we find a reconstructive surgeon for him. We will travel anywhere in the country if we can find a doctor who can perform the necessary operation and relieve him of his pain.

posted by tatiana wishbone to health fitness (13 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

I can heartily recommend Dr. Marque Allen (scroll down) in San Antonio, TX. He reconstructed my busted up ankle with a plate and some screws and it works perfectly now and I have no pain anymore.

I chose him because he seemed very competent and also operates on multi million dollar athletes (the San Antonio Spurs basketball team). I don't know if he does the kinds of extreme reconstructions you're talking about though, but I'd recommend him to anyone with a foot/ankle problem. News World Report, which does not surprise me because I've only ever heard great things about Mayo.

posted Ray Ban 3459 by sallybrown at 7:21 PM on April 9, 2010

IANAD, etc., etc. You need to break this quest into a couple of categories before you make your search. I had reconstructive work done by an Orthopedic Surgeon who specialized in surgery that was distal of the wrist. Nothing to do with any part of the body that was not a hand. I strongly suggest that you narrow your search to a surgeon that specializes in surgery of the foot. Second, I suggest that, within that narrow field, you find a reconstructive foot surgeon. Repair of previous work is a specialty within itself.

My approach to this would be to determine where the best Orthopedic teaching hospitals are and ask them to suggest a good reconstructive foot surgeon. They may suggest a member of their own teaching staff or a recent or long gone graduate of their school. If you can get an email address for any of them, don't be afraid to email them with a rough outline of the problem and ask if they either are interested in the case, or can recommend a surgeon who would be.

posted by Old Geezer at 7:22 PM on April 9, 2010 [1 favorite]

I don't have specific doctor recommendations, but a relative of mine worked with orthopedic surgeons for decades, and was of the opinion was that the best surgeons in this field work with the Army (huge numbers of foot injuries in the infantry) and with pro football teams.

I'd look for surgeons who have recently done cheapsunglassesstore.co.uk/ray-ban-sunglasses35/ray-ban-345949 a similar procedure on some famous pro athlete in Google News.

posted by zippy at 8:20 PM on April 9, 2010

As far as famous sports surgeons, yes they exist, everyone knows Dr James Andrews. He's operated on the top of the top, like Tom Brady, Brett Favre and Albert Pujols. According to his wiki, he opened the Andrews Institute for Orthopaedics Sports Medicine in Gulf Breeze, Florida. So there's a big lead.

posted by sanka at 8:24 PM on April 9, 2010

This is a well respected group in your area. Dr. Roy Sanders is well known internationally, and is close to you.

posted by 6:1 at 8:38 PM on April 9, 2010

Consider asking the Hospital for Special Surgery for a referral. They are excellent (in NYC). Orthopedics is pretty much all that they do. I have had friends who went there for other surgeries and the support staff is excellent, as are the facilities. They had good doctors as well but I don't have the names and they were different areas of the body (shoulder and knee) so I don't think it'll translate.

The Mayo clinic is a good bet as well, again, their support staff are excellent and they have a wonderful reputation for a reason, but can't recommend a specific doc because was there for a different reason.

posted by internet fraud detective squad, station number 9 at 9:11 PM on April 9, 2010

I'd contact the Steadman clinic in Colorado (formerly Steadman Hawkins) Ray Ban 3025 and see if this is something they do. They have a ridiculous number of top, top doctors there and will do an email pre consult thingy and review your records at no cost.

posted by fshgrl at 12:56 AM on April 10, 2010

Dr. Andrews, as mentioned before, also works out of the institute that bears his name at St. Vincent, in Birmingham, AL. My grandmother got her hip replaced by a doctor through his organization at St. Vincent and had a perfect experience.

posted by quodlibet at 6:39 AM on April 10, 2010

UPMC (University of Pittsburgh Medical Center) has an excellent orthopedic surgery department. There are (at least) two people in the Foot and Ankle division who might be worth contacting: and both specialize in reconstructive surgery of the foot and ankle. Dr. Wukich, in particular, might be excellent: he's the chief of Foot and Ankle, he did foot surgery for the Army for the better part of a decade and was chief of Orthopedic Surgery for Desert Storm, and he is the orthopedist to the Pittsburgh Ballet and for several local college football teams. Plus he has an active research program and is on editorial and review boards of a couple journals, which suggests that he keeps very well up to date cheapsunglassesstore.co.uk/ray-ban-sunglasses35/ray-ban-302548 on the latest procedures and research findings.

Disclaimers: I'm a graduate student at Pitt (in an unrelated field). I've been treated by people with cross appointments in this department, although it was my knee that was injured and I luckily didn't need surgery, and I thought that my doctors did a wonderful job.

posted by kataclysm at 8:50 AM on April 10, 2010

Upon further consideration: There is no "best orthopedic surgeon in the country." There are a lot of great orthopedic surgeons, all of whom have their own particular specialties. Even within the same body part, and with the same injury, the "best orthopedic surgeon" to do a given procedure might vary a lot, depending on if they were operating on a starting NFL quarterback vs. someone's diabetic grandma.

Similarly, while it's likely that a surgeon is a talented surgeon if he's working in a highly ranked orthopedic surgery department (the Mayo Clinic, etc.) that doesn't mean that the surgeon is the best one to do your specific procedure.
Reply with quote

post reply

Page 1 of 1 Go to page: 1
Subscribe to RSS
Follow us on Twitter


Copyright © 1996-2010 Raphael Benedet - Contact Us