Login - Become a member

SubDs in Mirai vs. others.

Forums home -> Mirai -> SubDs in Mirai vs. others.

By tsuru on Dec 15, 2001 11:24 AM
I was planning on posting this in spiraloid but since this is more software specific this looks like a more appropriate place... anyway...

(oh I have a tendency to be a little long winded...sorry for that in advance)

My main 3D experience is with Maya.  However since going to the user group meeting in siggraph 01, I have become much more interested in learning about Mirai and SubD modeling in general.  Of course trying out subds in maya and then watching bay's time lapse modeling sessions, I quickly came to realize Maya lacked a lot of work flow functionality (after I pick my jaw up off floor of course and then kicking myself for not talking to him more while he was at siggaph)  This led me on a quest to learn about SubDs and all the different terminology that is associated with them.  Now it is all coming down to this:  When some one says X package support subdivison surfaces are they talking about just subdivision surfaces or multi-resolution subdivision surfaces?? Here is a link to the math etc for multires subds: http://www.multires.caltech.edu/

Now in Maya regular subds are just polys with the smooth tool applied.  And multires subds  are a whole different beast which required editing vertices on lvl 0, 1, 2 etc... Nevertheless I find it very slow and difficult compared to just regular subD modeling with certain scripts to make it better.

So now the mirai question: Does mirai support multiresolution subDs?  I am sure it supports regular subDs but I have not heard anything about multiresolution until it was recently hinted at by ambient.  I haven't gotten a chance to play much with mirai yet since I am still in school but I am curious, if mirai supports multires surfaces, how does it implement.  Maya's way ( if you are familiar with it) seems like an okay approach once you are into the fine details stage but the interaction is just too slow.

Sorry for the ramble I felt I need to clarify some theory background first. I'd love to hear some thoughts.

Last modification: tsuru - 12/15/01 at 12:24:29
Re: SubDs in Mirai vs. others. 
By ambient-whisper on Jan 05, 2002 05:35 AM
wow. first post here in about a year :)
anyway, i think you would get a MUCH better response from the Mirai community as a whole.

you might want to post this question over there.
( that place has been dry for the past little while...it would be nice to see some activity there )

http://www.izware.com/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Mirai&number=1&DaysPrune=&LastLogin=

by the way. you cant work on multiple resolutions in mirai. when you smooth something its actually done as a new object. ( new smoothed object created from the low rez object. )

to tell you the trouth .after trying out Maya, i found the multi-resolution subds to just get in the way of the actual sculpting which your trying to perform in the first place. ( btw, where were you sitting.? i dont remember you there at the user group.:)

By Sums on Jun 13, 2006 11:11 PM
Nice topic i like it! :) :)
By jin1234i on Aug 16, 2012 04:39 AM
I were bitching about there being no proper release of their TS as well . This is the best fucking release of Mirai Nikki .

homes for sale portland oregon
Re: SubDs in Mirai vs. others. 
By azaz09 on Jan 26, 2013 03:30 PM
Itís really great posts.

Page 1 of 1 Go to page: 1
Subscribe to RSS
Follow us on Twitter

Copyright © 1996-2010 Raphael Benedet - Contact Us