Login - Become a member

Lighting a tomb!

Forums home -> Lighting -> Lighting a tomb!

Lighting a tomb! 
By kingmonkey on Feb 14, 2004 04:30 PM
I have a tomb that is built in the center of a mountain. There are holes all along the tomb to allow sunlight into it. I'm having a hard time getting the lights set up right. Using a directional light at a distance somehow doesn't look right, but even though a light at each hole looks better, it would have to mean i use 30-35 lights all together. I need help.

By Elrond on Jan 27, 2005 04:04 PM
i was having trouble with a scene quite like this...a friend in another forum suggested this, which worked pretty well for me:

Use a spotlight instead. Now aim the light where you want it, and instead of setting all of those near-far settings, go down to where it says attenuation. select inverse from the dropdown box, and set the amount underneath to about 1/3 the distance from where the light starts, and where you want the light to end. Make sure you make your hotspot and falloff more proportionate to each other. For best results . . . since you are casting a shadow that takes the shape of a grate, make the multiplier (also known as the brightness) of the light from 1.0 to 0.5. . . keep this one as a shadow map. Clone the light, and keeping it in the exact spot its in, turn this one into a raytrace shadow casting type.

try pulling the spotlight way back and position it where the sun would be, then aim it at the holes...specifically, it's the "cast shadow" checkbox that you want - depending on your version of 3ds, this might also be labeled as an "On" checkbox in the "Cast Shadows" section. the lighting rig that he suggested worked beautifully for me - you might have to set up more than one, if you've got several holes on all sides...but i think you won't need 30 seperate lights - set up one spotlight to shine into several holes...

i think something like this will work well for you. good luck ;)

Page 1 of 1 Go to page: 1
Subscribe to RSS
Follow us on Twitter

Copyright © 1996-2010 Raphael Benedet - Contact Us