Login - Become a member

I went to lunch with my friend

Forums home -> Post 3D Art -> I went to lunch with my friend

I went to lunch with my friend  
By zuggjery on Dec 16, 2013 02:42 AM
About five years ago, I went to lunch with my friend Nunk. Part of Nunk's lunch was a modest quantity of deviled egg. I asked Nunk if I could have a deviled egg. He said I could have half a deviled egg. So I picked up and ate what I took him to mean, which is one half of an egg's worth of deviled egg. And thus began The Argument.

This is an argument that has now spanned years, continents, and all forms of human communication in which an argument can take place. It has collaterally involved dozens and dozens of friends, some of whom now staunchly refuse to even speak of eggs in our presence.

Nunk's argument is that deviling one egg yields two deviled eggs. Deviled eggs are the product of a recipe that uses eggs as one of several ingredients, and the result is quantified independently of the number of eggs that go into it. Each resultant discrete unit (or "cup" as we now shorthand them) is correctly individually referred to as "a deviled egg".

For example, if you were to say "bring me one of those deviled eggs," you would not expect to be given two "cups". Thus, deviling an egg yields two deviled eggs. You accurately refer to one "cup" as a deviled egg.

My argument is that one deviled egg is one egg, deviled. As a poached egg is an egg, poached, or a sliced apple is an apple, sliced, it seems inarguable that when you devil an egg, you get a deviled egg. The only rational interpretation of Nunk's offer of "half a deviled egg" would be one "cup". half an egg's worth.

For example, if you were to say, "I'm going to make a deviled egg, do you want one?" this would imply you're offering one egg, or two "cups". Thus, deviling an egg yields one deviled egg. You accurately refer to one "cup" as a deviled egg half.

Recipe books, recipe websites, labeling on commerciallysold deviled eggs, and mountains of anecdotallysupported arguments about what "everyone says" have all variously supported both sides of the argument. But the answer to this question, and all questions like it, depends exclusively on what language users take "half a deviled egg" to mean. In the context of your original conversation, but not necessarily in other contexts, I agree with your friend.

posted by smorange at 2:58 PM on May 5, 2011 [1 favorite]

Nunk is right that one devilled egg is one "cup".

Nunk's unhygienic for offering you half a cup. Ick.

posted by orthogonality at 2:58 PM on May 5, 2011 [8 favorites]

If you were at a party, and someone asked you to go to the buffet and bring you a deviled egg, would you expect to get two pieces of the same egg, equaling a whole? I think I'd just take it to mean a half, meaning a deviled egg is a whole thing identifiable by its solid mass which happens to be half an egg www.ravensofficialnflprostore.com/ravens-elvis-dumervil-jersey-c-7.html proper but is only one deviled egg. I'm with Nunk.

posted by A Terrible Llama at 2:58 PM on May Matt Elam NFL Jersey 5, 2011 [14 favorites]

I'm with Nunk. If I offered you half, I'd be handing you a knife to cut it (preferably lengthwise).

posted by cecic at 2:59 PM on May 5, 2011 [3 favorites]

I've been eating deviled eggs for over half a century and everyone I know says that each cup is one deviled egg.

posted by a humble nudibranch at 3:00 PM on May 5, 2011

If someone offered me half of a deviled egg, I would take a bite of "the cup". Thus, one egg yields two deviled eggs.

posted by AlliKat75 at 3:00 PM on May 5, 2011

I hope you don't Elvis Dumervil Women's Jersey have money on this.

posted by A Terrible Llama at 3:00 PM on May 5, 2011 [6 favorites]

Another vote for 1 egginshell produces 2 deviled eggs.

posted by brainmouse at 3:04 PM on May 5, 2011 [1 favorite]

Another vote for Nunk. One cup is one "deviled egg". It is only by recipe convention that one egg yields www.ravensofficialnflprostore.com/ravens-matt-elam-jersey-c-22.html exactly two cups; it is certainly possible that someone would make an "extra yolk" or "light yolk" deviled egg recipe, using extra yolks or fewer yolks and breaking the 1 egg:2 cups ratio. It is unreasonable to expect the person seeing the end product to know exactly how the eggs were made and what the ratio is.

If it helps you sleep at night just think of them as Deviledeggs, where each cup is a single deviledegg.

http://www.stormchina.net/stedu/bbs/blog.asp?id=49634
http://dolphin.zoomzook.com/forum/topic/It-is-very-important-to-keep.htm
http://hi5mingle.com/member/blog_post_view.php?postId=143893
Re: I went to lunch with my friend 
By alincelean on Dec 17, 2013 08:45 AM
i think you are best friends. We all have some best friends in our life. The NFL jersey that i want to buy from internet. If you want to make your teeth more healthier, you can click the http://www.athenadental.com.au.

Page 1 of 1 Go to page: 1
Subscribe to RSS
Follow us on Twitter

Copyright © 1996-2010 Raphael Benedet - Contact Us