Login - Become a member

Lighting Aproaches

Forums home -> Lighting -> Lighting Aproaches

Lighting Aproaches 
By Dan_Harms on Apr 16, 2001 04:56 PM
I have not seen many posts in here so I thought I better start one.

My question is this: how many of you use the basic 3 point lighting technique, and how many improvise?
Re: Lighting Aproaches 
By Moriarty on May 02, 2001 07:31 PM
I'd use three point lighting if I had to set up a scene like a television studio.  I feel in this day and age that with the ability to create or enhance your "studio" basically to how ever you need it.  One of the techniques that I like to do is naturally light a room from natural souces (window, lights etc) then texture everything to look right in the setup.  Although I am just a beginner and my opinion might be irrelevant.

Moriarty
By Activemind2000 on May 04, 2001 05:44 AM
I think the 3 point light technique is usefull, as Kevin said, for a studio, but i feel that you should do the lighting as you feel it would fulfill what you need to achieve in the final image. That technique is more usefull, i guess, for understanding how you can light properly your scene (not underlit, or overlit).I can use this technique to learn how i should balance a light too strong or how to attenuate a shadow too black , etc.
got it? ;)
By Alom on May 14, 2001 09:19 PM
The 3 points tech is the basic block to lit up the scene... but it can be varied according to your need...!
By diaz on May 23, 2001 03:42 AM
Well, the 3-light technique is quite helpfull, but as the rest said everyone has his/hers unique way of lighting. I use a movie effect widely used, using Fill lights/Key lights/kick lights.

If I remember well, the fill light casts no shadows, has always a quite smaller value than the Key light, and is always positioned below the camera, pointing to the same direction as the camera. The key light is the main source of light, and the kick light is...I forgot..but this is the main point. You can always have lots' of key lights, as well as fill lights. Hope i've been some help.
By ilooshka on Jan 04, 2002 03:34 PM
kick light: the light that kicks subject(s) from behind! it's backlight! :)
By christopher on Jan 05, 2002 06:38 PM
i am a minimalist...i start with one light...i try to do the rest with shaders...maya is good for that.

Page 1 of 1 Go to page: 1
Subscribe to RSS
Follow us on Twitter

Copyright © 1996-2010 Raphael Benedet - Contact Us