Login - Become a member

business clashed with mentor role

Forums home -> General Discussion -> business clashed with mentor role

By gfrg001 on Nov 02, 2013 03:20 AM

rolls up his sleeve to show burn marks from his job baking bread at a downtown Houston store.

"It pays the bills," Lyles shoptexansnfljerseys.com/Black+Brian+Cushing+Jersey said.

Not long ago, before he became the key figure in the ongoing football program, Lyles had other career plans. He was the owner of shoptexansnfljerseys.com/Black+Jj+Watt+Jersey a fledgling scouting service he ran out of his home in southeast Houston.

Then his name was linked to a $25,000 payment by Oregon he alleges the school did not pay for his scouting services but for his access and influence with top recruits, most notably Lache Seastrunk and .

Because of the national attention, Lyles said he had no choice but to close his business. Since then, he has been turned down for nonfootballrelated jobs as well for "being unethical."

"I feel in a lot of ways my business is a dead business because of how my personal name and my business name will attract terms like street agent, pimp, slimeball, sleezebag, among other things I've been called," Lyles said. "In a lot of those instances, I think people judge me unfairly because they said things and didn't even know the full story."

Lyles' role as a mentor to prospects, while at the same time being a paid contractor to Oregon, is believed to be paramount to the NCAA's investigation, according to Yahoo Sports.

The NCAA interviewed Lyles for several hours as part of its investigation into the Oregon football program in early May. Lyles expects the NCAA to speak with him again after the latest disclosures. If found to have violated NCAA rules, Oregon could face sanctions; Seastrunk and James could face risks to their eligibility.

"One thing I can say is those kids didn't do anything wrong," Lyles said. "They shouldn't be punished for anything because they didn't do anything wrong."After months of silence, the 31yearold Lyles decided to tell his side of the story and what part he played, knowingly or not, in the scandal.

"It's been a crazy road," Lyles said in a nearly threehour interview. "The tough part about it, mostly for me, was being quiet about it and not being able to come out and say exactly how I felt. I wanted to see what was being done. I wanted to sit back and understand where the bullets were coming from."

For his part, Lyles admits he made mistakes, overstepping the line "in a gray area" as owner of (CSS) while trying to be a mentor. Brian Cushing Jersey

"I basically wore two different hats. There was the business guy and then there was the mentor," Lyles said. "Knowing what I know now, those two things don't mesh well as far as dealing with college football because there's too much gray area. If that was a mistake or an issue, that was a mistake that I made."

Did he ever knowingly steer recruits to any school?

"No, I wouldn't steer players to go to certain schools," Lyles said. "As a business, that would be stupid of me to even do that because I'm trying to procure more schools for business. So why would I send kids to one school? It doesn't make any sense."

Relationship Nike J.J. Watt Jersey starts in '07

Lyles, who graduated from and attended (he has 80 hours, according to school records), said his relationship with Oregon coach began in 2007.

At the time, Lyles was a Texas scout for New Yorkbased and Entertainment. A short time later, the father of an Oregon recruit told Lyles the Ducks were looking for running backs and Lyles called Kelly, then the offensive coordinator, to tell him about Texarkana LibertyEylau's James.

"I gave him film on LaMichael James, and that's how the relationship started," Lyles said.

Lyles admits, according to Yahoo, he helped James, who finished third in last year's Heisman Trophy voting, gain his college eligibility by suggesting James transfer into Arkansas for his final semester to eliminate any concerns about passing the math portion of the of Knowledge and Skills test required for graduation.

Lyles also admits he helped petition for the grandmother of Seastrunk, a fivestar recruit from Temple, to gain nonlegal guardian signing power for his national letter of intent.

"I was working hard to try and build a business, but I also cared about the kids," Lyles said. "I cared about shoptexansnfljerseys.com them personally; that's why the relationships I had with them are strong to this day and are lifelong.

"Lache made his own decisions. LaMichael made his own decisions. I don't feel like I can have the influence to say, 'You need to do this.' I wouldn't want to do that anyway, because I don't want a kid to come back and look at me and say, 'You know this didn't work out for me. You told me to go to this school and now it didn't work out so it's your fault.' I don't want to have that hanging over my head because I want kids to make their own decisions and think for themselves."In early 2010, with CSS up and running, Oregon committed to becoming Lyles' first client and settled on the $25,000 amount for his service, he said. He settled on that amount after Kelly told him to check with other scouting services about their prices. Lyles said he made the calls, posing as a Texas Southern coach.

After not asking Lyles to provide any printed scouting material over the next year, Oregon contacted Lyles in February about providing documents "as soon as possible" to show what the school had received as part of a national recruiting package. At no point, Lyles said, was it ever indicated that the payment was to secure Seastrunk or any other player signing with Oregon.

"They asked me for things at the last minute," Lyles said. "I threw some things together some of the information was outdated. I just threw it together for them so they could have something tangible in their hand."

In response to openrecord requests by Oregon media, the school on June 20 released what Lyles had provided: 140 recruiting profiles that were mostly outdated. The next day, the school released spreadsheets provided by Lyles that included four states and were uptodate, the Oregonian of Portland and Eugene RegisterGuard reported last month.

http://veggy.zodiake.com/blogs/post/1051
http://boenx.com/blogs/post/542713
http://hypefusion.com/bbs/topic.php?id=57910&replies=1#post-60849

Page 1 of 1 Go to page: 1
Subscribe to RSS
Follow us on Twitter

Copyright © 1996-2010 Raphael Benedet - Contact Us