Login - Become a member

break week for USC basketball

Forums home -> General Discussion -> break week for USC basketball

By fgsgf001 on Oct 31, 2013 02:03 AM

This has the feel of a makeorbreak week for USC's basketball team, which has road games against three top Pac12 Conference teams: Arizona State (tonight), Arizona (Saturday) and UCLA (next Wednesday).

The Trojans (811, 33) are heading into their second weekend of games under interim Coach Bob Cantu, who took over for Kevin O'Neill last week. USC has shown subtle signs of improvement. The Trojans lost by two points to a strong Oregon team last week, then beat Oregon State. Terrell seem to have new life under Cantu, the longtime assistant coach who is stressing more offensive freedom and aggressiveness.

ASU (144, 32) update: The Sun Devils padded their record with a relatively soft nonconference schedule, then started Pac12 play with solid victories over Utah, Colorado www.shoptexansnfljerseys.com and Oregon State but then suffered losses to Oregon and Arizona. The Wildcats beat the Sun Devils 7154 on Saturday. Arizona State trailed that game by only three points at halftime, but talented point guard Jahii Carson got in foul trouble and the Sun Devils struggled without him. Carson finished with 22 points in 33 minutes, but the Sun Devils collectively shot only 39.1 percent from the field. Carson leads Arizona State with averages of 17.3 points and 5.2 assists per game. Versatile 6foot6 Carrick Felix averages 14.6 points and 7.9 rebounds.

Arizona (161, 41) update: The Wildcats, ranked No. 6 in this week's AP poll, have a huge game tonight against conference coleader UCLA. Turnovers have been a problem for USC at times this season, and could be an issue against Arizona. Last Saturday, the Wildcats forced 17 turnovers against shoptexansnfljerseys.com/Black+Ben+Tate+Jersey Arizona State. Solomon HIll is a multipurpose threat for Arizona. He averages 13.6 points and 5.4 rebounds per game and is shooting 46.5 percent from the field and 43.5 percent from 3point range. Mark Lyons leads the Wildcats with an average of 15.2 points per game. USC's last victory against Arizona came on Feb. 24, 2011, when the Trojans upset the No. 10 Wildcats 6557 at Galen Center.

(on Ben Tate Jersey the team's attitude

CANTU: think the guys are optimistic. We had a great practice (Tuesday), probably the best practice we've had since I've taken over, and our focus is just playing hard and competing. When you go on the road, you've got to play better. You have to execute. You have to play with poise. You've got to be able to play through the home team's runs and, most importantly, you've got to be able to defend. If we can do that, it will put us in a position to have a chance. We've been trying to take it in fourminute increments at a time.''

(on the team's improvement from the Oregon game to the Oregon State game

CANTU: did notice that. The first thing I told the guys was, If you're open and you have a good shot, take it. If you miss it, get back on defense. If you make a mistake, don't make one on the other end.' We're just trying to get them to play with a little more freedom within structure. Freedom within structure is important, because you don't want to take bad shots that lead to other teams getting good shots. But I also want guys to take shots within the flow, and let them do what we recruited them to do. I want to attack. Guys like Byron Wesley are very, very good at that. But every game, as you know, kind of presents different situations. Some teams have particularly good point guards, or post players. We just played two teams that were playing a lot of zone, and a lot of changing defenses. I think, in the next three games, we'll probably see a lot more mantoman, with a little bit of zone. But I definitely feel that, in practice, we were playing with a better force behind us, and more pace. In doing that, you also have to be smart and take care of the basketball. You've got to end up somewhere in the middle.''

(on whether the team has avoided the flu bug going around

CANTU: fine. Chass Bryan was a little under the weather, but he's fine. We'll try to Nike Matt Schaub Jersey keep everybody healthy, but I know it's going around.''

(on whether he will stay with the same player rotation or whether it shoptexansnfljerseys.com/Black+Matt+Schaub+Jersey will evolve

CANTU: think it does evolve. Like I said before, different games present different situations, whether it's foul trouble, style of play, how we're defending a team. Depending on that, different guys will get different minutes. When Omar and Dewayne get two fouls, then JB [James Blascyzk] comes in, and he did well with his minutes (against Oregon State). Then, if guys are playing well, there aren't many minutes on the perimeter. It just depends. I'm open to playing as many guys as necessary for us to be productive, but there are also only so many minutes to go around.''

http://beboin.com/index.php?do=/blog/76105/warren-moon-black-jersey/
http://fun2book.com/index.php?do=/blog/9793/rob-bironas-black-jersey/
http://lovers-talk.de/member/blog_post_view.php?postId=14754

Page 1 of 1 Go to page: 1
Subscribe to RSS
Follow us on Twitter

Copyright © 1996-2010 Raphael Benedet - Contact Us