Login - Become a member

What's Lightwave like

Forums home -> Lightwave 3D -> What's Lightwave like

What's Lightwave like 
By JasonHendry on Nov 30, 2000 07:34 PM
I have been using 3D Studio Max R3 for a while now. I won't to learn another program as well. What is Lightwave like and are there any similarities between the two. thanks if anyone can help me with that.
Screenshots and sample images. 
By on Dec 02, 2000 01:55 AM
Lightwave is really easy to pick up. The menu system is designed for productivity and maximum efficiency. The best thing is that Newtek (the company that made LW) always come out with updates and patches that dramatically improve the program. One of the best features is the ability to use HDRI images to render a scene. The output is just amazingly photorealistic. Lightwave has two main programs: Modeler and Layout. Modeler is where you do all the modeling and the Layout is where animation and texturing is done, generally at least.
I am an amateur... but I have a few images here.
http://www.geocities.com/ray-kool/work/work.htm
Re: What's Lightwave like 
By JasonHendry on Dec 10, 2000 01:05 AM
I love the car. It almost looks real.

Thanks for the info. I'll try to get a demo and check it out.
By JasonHendry on Dec 12, 2000 01:54 AM
Does any one know if there is a Demo for Lightwave? If so where can I find it.

What does Lightwave cost?
By on Dec 23, 2000 06:25 PM
I don't think there is a demo, I've been looking for one myself and I couldn't find it so I just bought it (after a lot of research and comparison). It cost me $1345 before shipping with my type of upgrade, to come from 3DS Max it's only $995. This is from Newtek directly. It's only about $25 to get it overnight (my option of course).
By on Jan 01, 2001 10:13 PM
u can hunt down a copy of the pre release of lw 6.0 ......works good just missing a few pluggins.......and sometimes buggy when u make weight maps or u hit ure ram limit.....u should be running windoze 2000 or win nt ..at least 128 megs of ram.....   it should be contained within a folder called purple( hence the code name of the software)  if u have trouble finding i email me  at glare8@yahoo.com   lw4ever8)
By on Jan 02, 2001 05:01 AM
I have been working with LightWave for some time now and have also used MAX for a year professionally. Comparing the strenghts and weaknesses of both programms I can say that Lightwave is a great choice for Modeling and rendering (LightWaves renderer is extraordinary good compared to MAXs, however a little slower). LightWaves Modeler is simply fantastic! Its tools are all well set up and the workflow is great!
LightWave is trimmed for larger productions (thats what I feel). Thats why the seperation of Modeler and Layouter still makes sence.
MAXs Material- Editor is good, however is lacking the Diffuse- Level- textures of LightWave. Yes i know that there are diffuse- Textures, but they have a different meaning in MAX.
MAX is great for animation of all sorts. despite what others say Character- Studio featuring Biped is great! You never get anything with LightWave that fast. However for final CA- outputs still need some tweaking most of the time.
What I miss in MAX is the workflow of LightWave.
Working with MAX can be very slow sometimes.
However, having LW 6.5 now I still wish to see some of the animation- features in it which made MAX so famous.
If you want to try out LightWave, you will have to visit a Newtek- Center near your and ask for demonstration as there is still no demo of LightWave available yet. Sometimes people there will lend yo a copy for a few days, so go and ask them. It is definitely worth a try.
Hope that answers some of your questions.
CU
Elmar
By JasonHendry on Jan 03, 2001 09:56 PM
Thank it did answer many questions.

However I doubt that Newtek would have an outlet in Australia. If they did it would only be in Sydney(long way away).

Thanks Anyway.
By on Jan 07, 2001 07:37 AM
Hello
There is a Lightwave- Newgroup
comp.graphics.apps.lightwave
The Long- Time- Monitor of this Group "Darren Thompson" is from Australia. So ther eis definitely a NewTek- outpost in Australia.
However I dont know where...
CU
Elmar
I'm using it now. 
By JasonHendry on Mar 15, 2001 05:14 PM
My university uses Lightwave in the multimedia major I will be doing.

That's for the help anyway.
By Aeon on Apr 06, 2001 04:41 AM
I've used max for awhile, and I recently switched to lightwave 6.5, I picked it up in about a week and a half, and I absolutely love it, like what his name mentioned earlier, it doesn't have the character studio or some of the pluggins like max, but overall, i think it's easier to learn, max is too....dry, lightwave everything is one click (lol most of the time) it's effective, fast, and very well organized. :) just my 2 sense on things.
By jds580s on Apr 25, 2001 09:33 AM
There is a message posted on Flay.com that hints at a demo version soon to be released.  Less a few features, it sounds like a great tool to begin learning on.
By diaz on May 15, 2001 10:17 AM
Well, last time I made contact with Newtek about getting my hands on a LW6 demo, they told me I could give them the full price (by credit card number), they would send me the program, and if I did not return the software in 30 days, they would keep the money, else you get them back.

Contact Newtek about this, i'm sure they can help you out.
By micromike777 on Jun 06, 2001 12:38 PM
Lightwave has many advantages, but 3d studio is more rounded overall. I'd stick with 3d studio.
By glenfx on Aug 09, 2001 03:24 PM
8)  If you are looking for features in lightwave for creature animation like 3d max then There is a pluggin extremely excelent that is greater than the character studio plugin, its named PROJECT MESSIAH. You should look at this, and after that, you will decide if to change or not. (i used to animate profeccionaly in Max 2.5 and 3, 3.1, havent seen 4 yet, but im not changing back to max).
By penisenlargement on Sep 26, 2010 05:05 AM
What a great idea!! i'ld like to know more how many people you met on 1st sept, i'm quite late to see this blog.
Mr. president doing great with HEALTH issues, just few day's before FDA release new rules of packed food products to display all the details of energy and this are issued with taking public opinions from allover country.

Very good! penis enlargement pills Nice information this is really interesting - vimax and vigrx plus - Good luck in building the table.

Page 1 of 1 Go to page: 1
Subscribe to RSS
Follow us on Twitter

Copyright © 1996-2010 Raphael Benedet - Contact Us