Login - Become a member

Realistic Wood Texture Tutorial - Here

Forums home -> Texturing -> Realistic Wood Texture Tutorial - Here

Realistic Wood Texture Tutorial - Here 
By JEBoothjr on Jul 06, 2001 08:53 AM
I just created this tutorial on how I create a realistic wood texture. Please, let me know what you think. If I get enough of a good response, I'll do more tutorials like it.

http://www.geocities.com/jeboothjr/Tutorials/Texturing.htm

- James

Re: Realistic Wood Texture Tutorial - Here 
By Airflow on Jul 12, 2001 11:09 AM
Not being funny or anything, but would it no be easier to take a photo of some wood and make a seamless texture in photo shop...

Last modification: Robert Angol - 07/12/01 at 13:09:58
By JEBoothjr on Jul 16, 2001 06:24 AM
You could do that, but here are a couple of reasons not to.

You can use this method to create a texture at any resolution you want.  For example, the textures in the sample image on my page are 2048x2048.  It'd be nice if everyone could get a photographic texture at that resolution and clarity.

Another reason is gaming, which I'm looking to get a job in.  Have you ever had to use texture painted from scratch and put it up next to texture that was created from a photograph.  That style/look just isn't there.  It definitely stands out.

Another good reason is that you have complete control over the look of the texture, right down to the grain and rings. Color can always be changes easily in Photoshop, but to change the actual substance of the image will take a lot more time than it will take to follow the tutorial.

I hope that answered your question.  If you have any more questions or comments, just let me know.

- James
By Koztah3d on Jul 21, 2001 10:01 AM
If you're trying to get into gaming, you won't NEED 2084x2084. You'll need from 256x256 to 512x512
And you can take a photo, make it tile using offset in Photoshop, and then use filters and adjustment layers, posterise, autolevels, etc. to give it -whatever- look you need.
By JEBoothjr on Jul 23, 2001 05:49 AM
I know that in gaming, you use textures like 64x64, 128x128, 512x512, etc.  If you look at my site, I'd think you'd realize that I know a bit about gaming graphics.  The image that I created was a study in hi-res texturing for the specific purpose of submitting it to http://www.DVGarage.com for critique.  They suggest that you send in a rendered image at 2048x2048, so I created 2048x2048 textures so that they would stand up through that resolution of a rendering.  That site is in the process of being rearranged, but I recommend visiting it, especially once it's up and running strong again.

- James
http://www.geocities.com/jeboothjr

Last modification: James E. Booth Jr. - 07/23/01 at 07:49:09
By Koztah3d on Jul 23, 2001 10:10 AM
I -did- take a look at your site- BTW, no offense, but, some people are EXTREMELY irritated by beatbox music..you might want to include a music on/off button, 'cause you might end up pissing off someone that'd usually hire you. ;)
Suite 
By Joshua on Jul 23, 2001 12:30 PM
That's some good Photoshopping. I'd appreciate being informed about any more of your thorough tutorials. You clearly walk the walk.
By JEBoothjr on Jul 27, 2001 09:11 AM
I'm in the process of redoing my whole site - a whole new look, probably HTML.  There is a music on/off at the top, left corner.  Thanks for visiting.  If there are any particular kinds of tutorials that anyone wants to see, just let me know.

- James
By PolarPrick on Sep 15, 2001 08:33 AM
I think you should stop giving him a hard time, he's actually right. I like your tutorial and your site very much. I don't mind the music either. Total: Everything was very good
By B3AND1P on Oct 08, 2001 03:23 PM
I saw the talk about photo textures versus hand made for games so I thought I should add my two cents. I am a texture artist working on a XBOX/PS2 game due out in a year or so and I personaly like to use photos as a basis for all of my textures. I find it a little easier getting started if you already have certain texture in a photo to work with. Altho I think it would be foolish to make a texture like wood without using a photo for reference you still need to know how to make wood from scratch so you can fill in certain areas and make sure the texture tiles correctly over large areas. At the highest our textures are 512x512 and usualy they have 30+ photoshop layers in them with the actual photo taking up the base layer with details and adjustments on the layers above the photo. If I am making a rock or dirt texture you really can't get much better doing it by hand unless you feel like wasting a couple hours. But if you are making a texture that you can't find in real life ie: the texture for a floating force field road, then you have to be able to create convincing textures from scratch.
I thought the tutorial was great, the wood looked very clean, but really almost too clean for a realistic texture. I don't know what kinda of texture you were going for, but you will find almost nothing in life is as perfect as that wood.

hope that helps!

By Scott on Nov 29, 2001 10:05 AM
Actually, a very clever style on how to make wood.Show us more of that cleverness, ya know a lot of new 3dsmax artist are eager to find some new tutorials. ;)
By notic on Jan 16, 2002 03:57 AM
I also prefer to do my own textures, i like to have control over what i'm doing, taking photos can't give me the same choice. Good tutorial, i did a similiar tutorial just last week about how to create a wooden floor, different techniques though :-)
By hagbard on Feb 16, 2004 08:49 PM
of course is that a skilled  use of ps...but  i think  its better
to take a  high res tileable photo and good bump and spec maps....thats the only way to make it look real.

Page 1 of 1 Go to page: 1
Subscribe to RSS
Follow us on Twitter

Copyright © 1996-2010 Raphael Benedet - Contact Us